First Time, Itinerary Posted, Solo Hike

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Mark_NK8Q
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: First Time, Itinerary Posted, Solo Hike

Post by Mark_NK8Q »

Well, there are some really cool VHF/UHF handheld rigs out there that also pick up the weather bands. The last time I bought one it was almost the size of a brick and cost about $350, but new ones made in China by a variety of companies are cheap, small and light with lots of features. I don't have one but may get one myself before the trip.

The two that come to mind are the Baofeng and Wouxun radios. I'm looking at the Baofeng UV-5R V2+ ($39.99) or the BF-F9 V2+ ($59.99). They have Rx only coverage of 65 - 108 MHz (broadcast FM) as well as Rx/Tx on 136 - 174 and 400 - 520 MHz, weigh 214 grams (not sure if that includes the battery or not!) and are 58 x 110 x 32mm. They include a 7.4 V Lithim-Ion battery pack Note that a November 2015 QST article noted that these radios often do not pass FCC emission requirements (Part 97.307e), though (Ref: http://wp.ni4ce.org/wp-content/uploads/qst.pdf). Still, to have it available as a WX radio and a backup communication source (with appropriate licensing) seems like a good deal.
fishrman47
NewbieCake

Post by fishrman47 »

Thanks Mark. For that price, it's a no brainer to pick up one of those Baofengs.

Only about a month till your trip. Have a great time!
Mark_NK8Q
NewbieCake

Post by Mark_NK8Q »

Fishrman47, I thought I had replied yesterday but don't see it ... so here it goes again ...

Most ham radio VHF/UHF handi-talkies cover both the ham bands (at least 2m FM in the 144 - 148 MHz range) as well as the NOAA weather service at 162.xxx MHz (for receive only, of course). Options exist from Kenwood, Yeasu & Icom, take your pick (I have had all three in the past and they all work well). Those radios are typically in the >$200 price range and if you don't already have one they can be a good investment.

There are some newer Chinese manufactured HTs that boast lots of frequency coverage (including the standard FM broadcast band from 87 - 108 MHz) and performance in a very small and light package and a very low cost alternative to the Japanese rigs (as low as about $40!), but the reports from ARRL testing (and others) show that they may not be compliant to the emission standards per FCC Regulations, Part 97.307(e), as noted in the following article:

http://wp.ni4ce.org/wp-content/uploads/qst.pdf

The Rx performance of the Baofeng cheapest radios is not as good as Kenwood/Yeasu/Icom, either, but I know several people that have them that say they are worth what they paid for them anyway. As a backup radio or an occasional-use radio, the Baofeng and Wouxun radios are probably just fine. I'm considering getting one rather than lugging along my older (20 year old) HT that is big and heavy by modern standards. Also, from what I understand, at least from the Greenstone Ridge you should be able to hit repeaters in the Keweenaw Peninsula if not in the Thunder Bay and Minnesota areas. Given that there are two grid-squares that cover ISRO and both seem to be fairly rare it might be fun to take a radio and try to make some contacts on 146.52 MHz (simplex). Maybe hit a repeater first to announce that you are going to be listening on 146.52 as contacts through repeaters generally do not count for award purposes.

73!

Mark, NK8Q
Mark_NK8Q
NewbieCake

Post by Mark_NK8Q »

That is strange, now I see the post! Oh well, sorry for the double post ...
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Mark_NK8Q wrote:The two that come to mind are the Baofeng and Wouxun radios. I'm looking at the Baofeng UV-5R V2+ ($39.99) or the BF-F9 V2+ ($59.99). They have Rx only coverage of 65 - 108 MHz (broadcast FM) as well as Rx/Tx on 136 - 174 and 400 - 520 MHz, weigh 214 grams (not sure if that includes the battery or not!) and are 58 x 110 x 32mm.
I have had a Baofeng UV-5RA for a couple years now that I carry when I go to the Isle. It's 220g with battery, so darn light. I pop the antenna off and just store it in the top of my pack. I mainly bought it because it was cheap, and I wouldn't care if it got dinged around. I mainly use it as a weather radio; it has a solid receiver that picks things up better than stand-alone weather radios. I used Chirp and programmed in all the NOAA bands, Marine, the LSAC repeater network (haven't been able to hit it, though), and the NPS IR local and repeater frequencies, for fun. I figure in an emergency I could transmit on marine if I needed to. For the price, it's hard to pass up. (Oh, and I did test mine, and it's compliant)
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Tom wrote:
Mark_NK8Q wrote:The two that come to mind are the Baofeng and Wouxun radios. I'm looking at the Baofeng UV-5R V2+ ($39.99) or the BF-F9 V2+ ($59.99). They have Rx only coverage of 65 - 108 MHz (broadcast FM) as well as Rx/Tx on 136 - 174 and 400 - 520 MHz, weigh 214 grams (not sure if that includes the battery or not!) and are 58 x 110 x 32mm.
I have had a Baofeng UV-5RA for a couple years now that I carry when I go to the Isle. It's 220g with battery, so darn light. I pop the antenna off and just store it in the top of my pack. I mainly bought it because it was cheap, and I wouldn't care if it got dinged around. I mainly use it as a weather radio; it has a solid receiver that picks things up better than stand-alone weather radios. I used Chirp and programmed in all the NOAA bands, Marine, the LSAC repeater network (haven't been able to hit it, though), and the NPS IR local and repeater frequencies, for fun. I figure in an emergency I could transmit on marine if I needed to. For the price, it's hard to pass up. (Oh, and I did test mine, and it's compliant)
Sounds awfully familiar. :)

I still can't figure out how to program mine without SW to help. I need to start studying for the test, but now I'm into summer and time is at a premium.