Malone bay to lake Desor

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Malone bay to lake Desor

Post by ARRC »

Hi Everyone!
Have a 10 day trip planned, starting August 18. First time to the Island. I was planning on taking the water taxi to Malone bay and starting from there. How difficult is the hike up to lake Desor for the average person? I will have a first time hiker with me and want it to be enjoyable for her. I figure on spending the night at Malone and setting out for Desor or possibly chicken bone the next morning.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Malone bay to lake Desor

Post by Keweenaw »

It's been a few years since I was on that trail, but I recall it as being quite nice EXCEPT for a VERY long boardwalk around the end of the lake that is a few feet high and narrow over shallow water at some points. That part made me very nervous. As you will be starting out you will have maximum pack weight, so be VERY careful on that stretch. Other than that, it's uphill after you get around the end of the lake, so take it easy and take breaks when necessary.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

Thank you for the info. I'm thinking 10 miles a day at most is very doable. I'm also planning on a couple zero days to just kick back and relax.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

That's a good plan. Your itinerary on the Island is not set in stone, so just do what feels good and stay wherever makes sense given weather, tiredness, etc.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

The hike out of Malone is a gradual uphill the entire time. Not taxing, but you know you're going UPHILL and not DOWNHILL, for sure. Also, there's long segments of the trail that get pretty boring. Last time I was there, the trail was also pretty over grown.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

You will have a first timer with you and the hike from Malone to Desor is about 11 miles, up hill for most of that time. Fonixmunkee is correct that it is not overly taxing. Given the new hiker with you and this being the first day of hiking with full loads, you may want to consider a different starting point.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I nearly forgot--I hiked down to Malone from hatchet just two weeks ago. The trail is pretty faint for part of the way and easy to follow otherwise. I can imagine it being overgrown later in the year. If you take it, go slow and watch ahead of you and you should be able to pick up where the trail is without too much trouble.