8 day/7 night round trip of IR?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Clare
NewbieCake

8 day/7 night round trip of IR?

Post by Clare »

Hi all,

I'm planning to visit IR for 8 days/7 nights in the beginning of August this year. My hope was to hike from Rock Harbor to Windego and back to Rock Harbor in that time so I can experience both the Greenstone Ridge and Minong trails. Also bragging rights, those are important.

Yes I'm crazy :shock:

But I'm also a young-ish, fit experienced hiker with a very efficient 10 lb base weight so I've been pretty comfortable on 15-20 mile days in the recent past but I understand IR can be challenging. Typically I've hiked solo with my dog but this time I'm bringing my less experienced but very fit cousin along with me.

See my proposed itinerary below and share any suggestions, thoughts or advice as this will be our first trip to IR. Thanks in advance!

Arrive at ~Noon from the Queen IV
1: Rock Harbor to Daisy farm (7.1 miles)
2: Daisy Farm to W. Chickenbone Lake (9.3)
3: W. Chickenbone Lake to S. Lake Dessor (15)
4: S. Lake Dessor to Windego (11.6)
5: Windego to Little Todd (17.6) :!:
6: Little Todd to McCargoe Cove (13.3)
7: McCargoe Cove to Three Mile (12.6)
8: Three mile to Rock Harbor (6)
Leave via Queen IV ferry at 2:30

Alternately I thought of doing;
5: Windego to N. Lake Dessor (12.9)
6: N. Lake Dessor to McCargoe Cove (17.8 )

Either way you slice it, it looks like I'm going to have one really long day on the Minong. I wish I could stay 8 nights so I can break that up but I really can't. I like the idea of stopping at Little Todd on my to McCargoe as I understand both are exceptionally beautiful. But I also have heard that the Western part of the Minong is hardest so it might be best to have my longest Minong day further east and stop at N. Lake Desdor instead.

Feel free to pepper comments with your advice and wisdom. I'm open to alternate routes too. Thanks!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: 8 day/7 night round trip of IR?

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the forum, Clare!

Those are some very long days for the Minong. It might make for a good recipe if you want your cousin to never go hiking with you again. ;-)
I understand the circumstances, but I would suggest putting the longer miles on the improved trails, as hiking rate tends to be faster. Here is an alternate plan that would keep the Minong sections shorter:
1. Rock Harbor to Daisy (7.1)
2. Daisy to Todd Harbor (14.6)
3. Todd Harbor to Desor North (11.2)
4. Desor North to Windigo (12.9)
5. Windigo to Desor South (11.6)
6. Desor South to Chickenbone West (15)
7. Chickenbone West to Threemile (12.6)
8. Threemile to Rock Harbor (3)

For day 2, the section of the Minong from McCargoe to Todd is often considered the easiest. It's easy to follow, for sure, and not as much up and down. 14.6 will be a long day, but doable.
Day 6, although longer, would actually be easier because you're pretty much up on the Greenstone most of the way, with much less up and over, comparatively.

You may also want to have an alternate route in mind, like cutting back at Hatchet. At present, you don't have a weather day. Some of this hiking is up on open ridges; thus it's not too prudent to be hiking during electrical storms. That could potentially slow down a day or two, if you have to wait things out.
Happy planning!
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

I would recommend using those "long" days on the Greenstone, going east from Windigo. Tom's alternate plan is a good one.
Clare
NewbieCake

Post by Clare »

I love the alternate plan Tom! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and share your wisdom. On day 6 we could end up at W. Chickenbone or if we feel adventurous we could go the extra 3 miles north still to McCargoe cove without affecting the rest of the itinerary (since day 7 will still be 12.6 miles to 3 mile if we leave from W. Chickenbone or McCargoe). Again thank you so much!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

" On day 6 we could end up at W. Chickenbone or if we feel adventurous we could go the extra 3 miles north still to McCargoe cove without affecting the rest of the itinerary "

Tom does have a great plan there for you. But, if you have extra time, why backtrack trail you have already done? If you get ahead of plan and still have time and energy to spare, on Day 6 stay on the Greenstone and head for Lane Cove, then on Day 7 cross back to 3Mile, then Day 8 head for Rock Harbor and hike Scoville Point before your ferry. If you are going after Labor Day you could end up in Rock Harbor and get away with spending two nights there, but it's limited to 1 night before Labor Day - so is 3-mile.

OR if you finish the Minong section easily, ahead of schedule, and are raring to go, consider hiking the Feldtman loop to get to the Greenstone instead of just heading up the hill from Windigo. For me, this would add two days of length to a trip but I'm not a real fast hiker.