4-5 Day Itinerary Feedback

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Garetron
NewbieCake

4-5 Day Itinerary Feedback

Post by Garetron »

Hi All!

My girlfriend and I are planning a 5 day trip to Isle Royale in early August, its both of our first time to the island and we are psyched! We are both reasonably experienced hikers and have done a little bit of backpacking but not too much. Were planning our itinerary now and was wanting any input about difficulty / alternatives / anything! Was a bit worried we might be trying to cover too much ground, but also want to feel like we have gotten out of the immediate vicinity of where we started!

Tuesday: Arrive 3pm on Ranger III Rock Harbor. Hike to Daisy Farm. 7.1 miles.
Wednesday: Hike Daisy farm to McCargo Cove via mt ojibway. 8 miles
Thursday: McCargo Cove to Moskey Basin. 8.6 Miles
Friday: Moskey Basin to Rock Harbor. 11 miles
Saturday: Catch 9am Ranger III to Houghton.

Was thinking that if we need a shorter day we could have option to stop in West Chickenbone instead for an easier 6 mile hike to Moskey on Thursday. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Gareth
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: 4-5 Day Itinerary Feedback

Post by Base654 »

You picked my favorite 5 day trip! Moskey to Rock Harbor tends to be a long stretch, but not to bad. Watch the sun come up over coffee, eat breakfast and take off. Dinner at the resturant is good, and yoh can do some shopping. If you get up early enough Saturday you can hike the Stoll trail in a couple of relaxed no pack hours.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Only suggestion is that you consider the Tobin Harbor trail as an alternative to the RH trail from Threemile to RH for at least one leg. I always take the Tobin Harbor trail as it is MUCH easier hiking.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I agree with Keweenaw; I have taken the RH to Threemile once, to say I hiked it, now days I always take the Tobin Harbor Trail to and from Threemile.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne