Tree incident at Hatchet Lake

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Tree incident at Hatchet Lake

Post by Tom »

I just returned, but news was spreading of a tree incident occurring at Hatchet Lake, sounding like this past Saturday.
(Note: This is all secondary knowledge, so take that with necessary grains of salt.)

The incident related to a tree failure (not sure if by storm, or by hammock stress, etc) that caused a tree to go down injuring at least one, of not two, hikers. I was on the Isle on Saturday at Belle Isle, and conditions were quite good from a weather perspective. The event resulted in a back injury(s) that required emergency evac. Rumor was someone was able to get to Todd Harbor to notify (fortunately) a boater, who initiated contact with NPS. I know the ranger from Daisy Farm was dispatched, as were others. The situation concluded with a basket lift to a USCG Chopper.

While details and specifics/reality of this event will perhaps come out in the coming weeks, it's important to remind everyone to stay aware of their campsite conditions; always try to be thinking what they might do if an emergency situation developed; and be prepared to help a lending hand to another hiker if injury befalls them. They would do the same for you. We're all out there together.

Hopefully the victims involved in this incident will recover well, and be able to return to the Island soon!
fishrman47
NewbieCake

Re: Tree incident at Hatchet Lake

Post by fishrman47 »

Yikes.

I archery hunt about 25' up trees all over the MI LP....scary stuff. Gotta watch out for those widowmakers.
deeman
NewbieCake

Post by deeman »

FWIW, We did chat with some of the Rangers and they mentioned a recent story about a guy sitting in his hammock and had a buddy jump in with him (to be funny?) and the hammock collapsed and the hiker slammed his back on the ground and needed to be medi-vaced out on a body board. Perhaps the same incident.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

The victims that Tom mentioned were women.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

The story we heard from the North Shore Volunteer while we were out there a couple of weeks ago was that it was a 22" diameter birch or aspen with a dead top that came down after the hammock was attached, possibly from the vibration/swaying of the hammock.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

This happened to my party when camped at Hatchet Lake years ago so it must be a more common place for this type of danger.
The campground is surrounded by a Birch/Aspen stand.

A tree top snapped from top of a tree and fell on a tent vestibule while someone was in it. There was no wind and a crack echoed in area.
Time seemed to stand still as I watched that log fall hoping it would not have a direct hit.
HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by HikerGal »

A friend of mine said he recently (last week or two?) saw something on channel 4 (?) Detroit news about this incident. I've tried to see if I could find anything online but have not been able to. Seems it was maybe two females, one ended up being strapped to an outhouse door that was removed to transport her to an area where she could be removed by helicopter? I sure would like to find out what happened. We actually were camping at Hatchet Lake about 3 days prior to the incident....
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Link to article about the accident --> https://www.thejewishnews.com/2016/08/1 ... -accident/
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

This had to of been terrifying for these girls. Glad to hear they are on the mend. Thanks for sharing the article so we have clarity on the events.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

I spoke with one of the rangers that helped to evacuate these two young ladies, the day after the incident/accident. He was checking my permit at Daisy Farm. He told me he was up for almost 24 hours, due to the rescue process. I guess the Coast Guard flew them out from the north side of the island. They had to do a carry out using the Hatchet L. trail. It sounded like the rescue and first aide training that the rangers receive was put to good use as well. The same ranger checked my permit when I camped at Rock Harbor (wish I could grow a nice beard like his).
HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by HikerGal »

Thanks for all the information on this incident. As careful as you try to be, things happens, and you want to be able to learn from them; I would have never thought to use an outhouse door for a backboard.

When we got to Hatchet Lake (June 30 ) it was after we had just hiked a good part of the day in a thunderstorm. Fortunately when we got there it was not raining or windy, and the sun actually came out for about 10 minutes. If you look around at some of these campsites you can indeed see many widow makers; South Lake Desor comes to mind. Or if your mind wanders too much (which mine does) you can see many "accidents" waiting to happen. But, as many have said, Isle Royale is such an incredible place it is worth all the effort to get there.... but it is also good to be prepared!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

jerry wrote:(wish I could grow a nice beard like his).
I believe you saw Whitebeard. That's our group's name for him. We have made up many tall tales about him. It all started many years ago when we saw him happily hiking along the Minong ridge trail with a pack on, a chainsaw slung over his shoulder, and carrying a can of gas. All while wearing his less-than-comfortable woven NPS uniform.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

This guy was in his 20s, brown beard.
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Grandpa »

Here's more information on the incident:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/oakl ... ummer-camp
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Four miles from Hatchet Lake CG to Todd Harbor in 3 hours while carrying someone strapped to an outhouse door is a pretty good accomplishment. I hope the 2 girls are having a full recovery.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013