First Trip to IR! Advice welcomed!

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

LRB30
NewbieCake

First Trip to IR! Advice welcomed!

Post by LRB30 »

Planning a trip for end of August or mid September. Anyone have a preference on which date?

Below is my itenary. Please let me know if you think there is a more interesting route.

Monday:
8:45am depart Copper Harbor
Noonish arrive at Rock Harbor
Rock Harbor to Threemile via Tobin Harbor

I know this is a lite day but we will be driving the whole day before and may need to just recoup. We may push on to Daisy farm if feeling good.

Tuesday:
Threemile - East Chickenbone via Greenstone
or Daisy Farm - McCargoe Cove via Mt. Ojibway

Wednesday:
E. Chickenbone - Moskey Basin
Or McCargoe Cove - Moskey Basin

Thursday:
Moskey Basin - Rock Harbor

Friday:
Rock Harbor - Scoville Point - Rock Harbor
Depart 2:45pm

Will this be a good variety and doable mileage for the terrain? Also any recommendations On A place to stay the night before in Cooper Harbor, MI?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: First Trip to IR! Advice welcomed!

Post by Donk_67 »

My thoughts: 3 mile is a great camping spot and depending on route selection allows you to see the views of Canada from Mount Franklin. Never been to East Chickenbone; heard its ho hum and access to water is difficult. Moskey to Rock Harbor will be a long day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome to the forums!

I would bypass East Chickenbone. Although the vegetation has gotten better over the years (when I first went there in the 90's it was barren), the water is a long ways away down a steep hill. McCargoe Cove is an easy walk from there and a beautiful campground. If you make Daisy the first day, I would opt for McCargoe or, since you want to get to Moskey, maybe got to Moskey and loop back to Rock Harbor via McCargoe.

Instead of having a long walk back to Rock Harbor, you could always split it up and spend your last night at Three Mile and walk in the day of the boat.

I'd pick September over August. There are less people and bugs. Days are shorter though.

In Copper Harbor I have almost always at King Copper. It is dated, but close to the dock.

Hope you have a great trip!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by BlackCoffee »

I second a lot of Donk_67's and MikeT.'s advice. Although 11 miles doesn't sound like much, Moskey Basin to Rock Harbor will be a long, rugged hike. The trail is great, but I think it's best to break it up a bit. I would also bypass East Chickenbone if you can. (West is much nicer, but may not work depending on your plans.) I think your best bet is to get to Daisy Farm the first day, then McCargo Cove, Moskey Basin, and Three Mile.

I also recommend September for fewer bugs and people, and I've stayed at the King Copper a few times and think it's a good option. There is good beer on tap at Zik's also!

Have a great trip!
LRB30
NewbieCake

Post by LRB30 »

Thanks MikeT, Blackcoffee, &Donk_67. I will take your advice to bypass East. Are we going to be disappointed if we don't make it to Scoville Point? 11 miles does seem ambitious, especially on our last full day. Wife and I just thought Scoville may be cool to see, but may mean we just come back another year.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Scoville is nice, but there are a lot of beautiful places! Scoville is also easy to get to because it is at an access point. Could always come over on a day trip in your old age to see it :D
I have never really planned a trip out to Scoville, but have walked it many times because I had time in Rock Harbor waiting for the boat (and twice when the boat did not come so we had an extra day)
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
RICHIGAN
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by RICHIGAN »

the second one
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
On the way to Scoville last summer. It's a nice place but I agree, don't plan for it. You will have time at some point if you make more than one trip. Remember that you will do this trip with just a water bottle in your hand. ( I wear my camp shoes ) I think it takes me about an hour.
BlackCoffee
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by BlackCoffee »

Agree - the trail to Scoville Point is nice, but you will see plenty of great stuff, especially if you hit Moskey Basin and McCargoe Cove. Save Scoville Point for another time, or if you somehow find yourself with time to spare at the end.