Bushwack Question

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Glenskinner
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Bushwack Question

Post by Glenskinner »

Good morning,
Going to be at the island next week and I was looking at the map and was wondering if it is possible to bushwack from Chippewa Harbor across to Maskey Basin. Distance does not look bad and it looks pretty flat. I am assuming somewhat wet? I wanted to check out the lakes and streams for fishing. Has anyone attempted this or accomplished it? Am I off base on even considering it? Two of us with good compass/navigation skills.

Thanks.
deeman
NewbieCake

Re: Bushwack Question

Post by deeman »

You may have to check on the regulations of IR. My gut feel is that it's prohibited to go off-trail since when I did the IR orientation last week we were firmly told to STAY ON THE TRAIL and...."if there is a mud puddle go thru it, not around it. If a tree is down, go over or under the tree do not go into the woods for 2-3 feet to go around it. So based on this I would suspect they discourage off trail (without a permit) hiking.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

You absolutely can go off trail; I think the principle of the LNT talk is that if you're using "existing trails" and come to a downed tree or a mud hole, keep walking straight and don't develop what becomes a secondary/widened trail. Other than that, you are welcome to walk anywhere you want to go on the Island.
That said, given it's your first visit to IR, I would strongly suggest sticking to the posted trails to keep your trip enjoyable. I think you'll discover backcountry/off trail travel can be tough. I've bushwacked some around Lake Mason; it's quite thick in many places. (There is a spur trail to the outflow of Lake Mason that will get you started.) It's also fairly wet in places, since water pools up in the lowlands between the smaller ridges.
fishrman47
NewbieCake

Post by fishrman47 »

I'm new to IR but going next week also. I've bushwacked in Boundary Waters (where there are no lectures about leaving the trails) and it's easy to get into thick stuff you really regret. Especially since you're looking at about 2 miles as a crow flies.

Let us know how it goes!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Paging tree rattt. tree rattt, please pick up the white courtesy phone....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2816

Bushwack saga from Malone to Chippewa, but it looks like it was all trails from there to Moskey.
fishrman47
NewbieCake

Post by fishrman47 »

hooky that was a good read, thanks
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

hooky wrote:Paging tree rattt. tree rattt, please pick up the white courtesy phone....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2816

Bushwack saga from Malone to Chippewa, but it looks like it was all trails from there to Moskey.
One of the most impressive pieces of grit in the story was it was a group five, tree ratt, his father and 3 kids, including his 6 year old daughter.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

The only thing I would add to this as it is pretty much covered in all of the replies above is, this time of year is not a good time to bushwack. It is thick and bug infested! The best time to bushwack is the springtime. It is not as thick. However, it is VERY wet. In my recent (mostly unsuccessful) quests to find old trails, the only success I have had is in the spring. I would stick to the trails and maybe bushwack for short distances to streams and/or lakes.

Hope you have a great trip!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Glenskinner
NewbieCake

Post by Glenskinner »

Thanks all. Good info.
Our main goal was to hit a couple of lakes off the beaten path.
What about off trail from Lake Ritchie campground to say Lake Ritchie canoe or Intermediate Lake or Chip. Harbor to Lake Whittelsey or Wood?
Probably same answers?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I agree with all the comments here with a couple of additional thoughts and comments. There are places that are off trail that are off limits. Generally these are known or usual Loon nesting areas, so there are sections along certain shorelines mapped off as out of bounds. The other distinction to make is bushwacking most anywhere is OK but overnight camping requires a special permit which is not hard to obtain but does impose several new restrictions mainly for the proximity of the camp to existing trails and water. Plus there are large zones that are off limits, some of which depend upon certain dates.

As far as bushwacking there are definitely places I would not want to try it. These are generally the areas considered a Boreal forest of mainly fir. Take for example this section of trail from the Rock Harbor Lighthouse to the Bangsund Cabin (right across from Daisy Farm). Imagine moving through this dense stand of fir where the sharp branches begin at your ankles and the trees are only a foot or two apart:

Rock outcropping of course are easy as long as you never want to move perpendicular or reach a dead end. The easiest forested areas are where the forest has evolved into mature hardwoods such as Maple. These are generally on the southern end along the Greenstone Ridge. Island Mine campground sits in this area. Then of course there are the swampy areas, no alligators or poisonous snakes though.

The areas of Birch and Aspen can sometimes be fairly passable but the forest floor often is covered in small fir. Eventually, this fir will overtake the birch, unless the moose eat it first :(

Here is a map of the vegetation (at least when the map was made). Not super useful for orienteering but you get the general layout:
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

MikeT brings up a really good point; it's WAY easier to bushwhack during leaf-off season than when foliage is on. And even then, it's kinda hard. :(

Keep in mind, the lakes you are visiting, by nature of being inside the least visited national park in the continental US, are already pretty much off the beaten path. Of the possibilities you list, I'd say getting to Lake Ritchie canoe is the least work; you just need to find a good place to veer on a ridge SW off the portage trail, and then track SE within 100-200' of the shore where the bay comes in. You'll still probably get wet, and it's still thick in much of that area.
Tree Rattt's description will tell of the other sections to a degree; one of the largest obstacles seems to be finding a place to cross the Ritchie outflow. Whittlesey would be easier in that once you get into the ridges, it's a bit more open to get you toward the lake. Wood sets down in more of a pit, so it's harder to get near the shore.
I'd still probably stick to a 'traditional' listing of camps for your filed itinerary; and then day hike from those places to try to see where you can get.
Glenskinner
NewbieCake

Post by Glenskinner »

Thank you, all.
Talking it over with my brother, we are going to stick with main trails and main lakes on this trip. I am pretty confident we will have good fishing at any of the "main" lakes.
Thanks again, this forum is fantastic.