Itinerary Advice for July 2017

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ruthwj
NewbieCake

Itinerary Advice for July 2017

Post by ruthwj »

I'm planning my first trip to IR and it may be a solo one (still trying to convince a backpacking friend to come along). I've done quite a bit of backpacking and hiking with my son and his Boy Scout Troop, including Philmont. I feel confident in covering about 8-9 miles a day, though I've done up to 14. I don't want to cover the whole island. I'd prefer a more "leisurely" pace to get done in 6-7 days.

As I've been reading posts and also consulting maps this is the itinerary that I'm considering:

Day One - VII Ferry from Grand Portage to Rock Harbor, Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm
Day Two - Daisy Farm to W Chickenbone
Day Three - W Chickenbone to Hatchet Lake
Day Four - Hatchet Lake to South Dessor
Day Five - South Dessor to Island Mine
Day Six - Island Mine to Windigo (arriving one day earlier than the current VII schedule departure on my preferred dates in July)
Day Seven - Day hiking around Windigo
Day Eight - VII Ferry to Grand Portage

I had originally thought I could do the trip in five days, but I'd like time to slow down and take things in. Any feedback is welcome as this itinerary seems to be the opposite of most I've seen (Windigo to Rock Harbor). My thought is that I'd like to land at the dock with the shortest trip "home".

Thanks in advance!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Itinerary Advice for July 2017

Post by torpified »

The extent of my experience is following the Greenstone Ridge Trail (with detours to camp at hatchet lake and lane cove) from Windigo to Rock Harbor. So here's hoping people with more wisdom chime in.

*Direction: I went west to east for the simple reason that I like to think of myself as getting closer and closer to pizza as my walk progresses. (This remains true if you walk the other direction, but there's still a ferry ride between you and the pizza.) Your reason for your choice of direction seems as good as mine for mine!

*going solo: my trip was solo and I had a blast. I think it made it easier to sneak up on unexpecting animals. There's no lack of company, if you want it. In addition to the many boy scout troops scattered across the island, the campgrounds are natural collectors of humans.

*Itinerary: If I understand your plan, the part that overlaps with my walk (GRT from Daisy Farm Junction to Island Mine Junction, if not beyond) includes what I thought were the least inspiring miles of the trail---roughly the South Desor junction to Windigo, which is rich in trees and high points unidentifiable as such due to trees obscuring what would be views. So you might consider, after Hatchet Lake, heading north to the Minong Ridge trail and taking that to Windigo. (DISCLAIMERS: I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS MYSELF. Also, if you were thinking of taking the Feldtmann Ridge Trail from Island Mine to Windigo, I have never done that either, so I have no idea what you'd be missing if you took the Minong Ridge instead.)

OK -- that should provoke the actually-experienced to weigh in.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Day One - VII Ferry from Grand Portage to Rock Harbor, Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm
That works. The East-West vs West-East debate is as old as the island itself; there is no wrong way to hike it. In July you'll have plenty of light to get this section underway; the only risk is you're coming into camp a bit late so site selection will be more limited. (It's a big camp, though.)

Day Two - Daisy Farm to W Chickenbone
Good choice; very doable. Some pretty sections of trail. In July, it could be hot on the ridge.

Day Three - W Chickenbone to Hatchet Lake
There is a bit of a slog when you have to climb a hill that starts less than a mile from the trail intersection. You are, however, rewarded well for the effort, and some great ridge time.

Day Four - Hatchet Lake to South Desor
Although the hikes in and out of each of the respective camps leaves a little to be desired, it's mostly because you're fairly up the Greenstone's back on this section. Some good views to the South looking toward Siskiwit.

Day Five - South Desor to Island Mine
In mid-Sept to Oct, awesome. In July, meh. It's inland (less breeze), no body of water (just a stream), surrounded by trees, and can be buggy. You'll have your trail legs by then, and the distance to Windigo/Washington Creek is mostly downhill. It's certainly not that hard on the legs from Island Mine onward. (Going West.) Personally, I'd push on.

Day Six - Island Mine to Windigo (arriving one day earlier than the current VII schedule departure on my preferred dates in July)
Take your spare day you saved, and spend a night at Hugginin. If you're really feeling good, you could hike out to Feldtmann for a night, and be back the following day by the time the boat leaves.

Day Eight - VII Ferry to Grand Portage
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Looks like a very doable itinerary. I personally like going East to West as the west end has less people and I feel like I am going "into the wild". I will second Tom on both Island Mine and Huginnin Cove. I love Island Mine campground in the fall, but would avoid it in July. Huginnin Cove is beautiful and a great way to end a trip. The walk from Desor to Washington is relatively easy, especially from Island Mine to Washington, that stretch can be walked quickly and you can spend a night in Washington and go to Huginnin the next day.

It is always good to have a "swing" day for weather and if you decide to stay somewhere because it is nice. When you stay at Desor, make sure you walk down to the group sites to see the beautiful beach there. It is a great place for the sunset.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
ruthwj
NewbieCake

Post by ruthwj »

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I spoke today with a gentleman who's been on the south end twice and as far as Island Mine (on a day trip) heading out from Windigo. He pretty much said the same on bugs, which, having done Gooseberry to Tettegouche on the SHT a couple years ago in June I'm all to familiar with. Seems the northern regions of Minnesota are broken into winter, spring mud followed by an abundance of bugs, heat and then cold again.

So the only part of the trip that seems to be a challenge is the ferry if the weather goes bad. Any advice on that is also welcome and I will also take a deeper look at the transportation section. Something tells me having some anti-nausea meds is a good idea based on what I've heard so far.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It is very rare for the Voyageur or the Sea Hunter to be delayed an entire day, and when it happens it is most often later in the season. When they are delayed they do everything possible to get back on schedule. Even so it is best to not put a very important event on your calendar for the day that you planning to be home. If you have an inkling that you might get seasick then you are wise to prepare for it. You can search the forum here for several discussions on seasickness. I've personally found that staying alert with my eyes focused on the horizon is the best thing to do while on the boat.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013