Itinerary Advice for thesneakymonkey

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Itinerary Advice for thesneakymonkey

Post by JerryB »

thesneakymonkey wrote:Name: Ashley and Matt F
Hometown: Saginaw
Arrival Date: August 4th
Departure Date: August 9th
Coming From/Via: Houghton, Ranger III

Itinerary:

DAY 1: Rock harbor then hike to 3mile camp
Day 2: 3mile to Moskey basin
Day 3: MB to west chicken bone
Day 4: WCB to daisy farm (hitting mount Ojibway on the way)
Day5: Daisy Farm to rock harbor
Day 6: zero day/ferry out of rock harbor

Notes/Other: I am very open to modifying this itinerary. I am considering skipping 3 mile camp and going all the way to daisy or going the opposite direction totally and going to lane cove on the first day. I'd like to avoid the crowds on that first day but I understand going at this time in August and having a long ride on a ferry will dictate when we will be rolling into camp. Any suggestions are more than welcome. :mrgreen: This is our first trip to the island and hoping to do a second in 2018 for the west side of the island.
If you are open to starting at Lane Cove, you can reserve a water taxi to Hidden Lake for when the ferry gets in. You will have time to get to Lane Cove and avoid backtracking over portions of the same trail.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Itinerary Advice for thesneakymonkey

Post by thesneakymonkey »

JerryB wrote:If you are open to starting at Lane Cove, you can reserve a water taxi to Hidden Lake for when the ferry gets in. You will have time to get to Lane Cove and avoid backtracking over portions of the same trail.

Sorry I am new to this. Can you explain this a little more. Are you saying at the beginning of my trip to book a water taxi from RH to hidden lake?
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

You should book the water taxi through th lodge at Rock Harbor. Do it in advance for the time when the ferry comes in, plus 15-30 minutes. It will take you right to the Hidden Lake dock and there is a trail up to the beginning (or end) of the Greenstone Trail. One warning, the lodge/taxi folks are not very responsive. It may take you multiple attempts to get through and get a response. Once you do, it should be fine
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

JerryB wrote:You should book the water taxi through th lodge at Rock Harbor. Do it in advance for the time when the ferry comes in, plus 15-30 minutes. It will take you right to the Hidden Lake dock and there is a trail up to the beginning (or end) of the Greenstone Trail. One warning, the lodge/taxi folks are not very responsive. It may take you multiple attempts to get through and get a response. Once you do, it should be fine
This makes day one an 8.1 mile day (hidden lake to lane cove via greenstone ridge) vs 6.9 miles (via tobin harbor trail/mount franklin). Yes this gets me on a trail I wouldn't normally be hiking on and a likely a better experience but I think adding the extra mileage and getting there later in the day could create problems for not getting a campsite (only 5 sites and no shelters). The ranger III doesn't get into RH until late as it is. Thank you for the options though and something more to think about. But I think I might stick with my original plan.

I'd like to learn a little more about the water taxis but I am having a hard time finding information online! Almost everything I do find agrees with you and says that they are hard to get ahold of.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Every point you raise is a valid one--you are on the right track. A few more thoughts:
You may not be able to make a taxi reservation until the lodge opens. Someone else may be able to confirm this.

Good point on the mileage. I suspect the mileage from Hidden Lake is easier than the overland route. But the reason, I did this once was so I could see the point without a ton of backtracking.

Pick your plan and you will enjoy it. There are always future trips!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Here's the link for the water taxi: http://www.rockharborlodge.com/water-taxi. The smaller boat on the right of the picture is the "taxi" (the larger one is the sightseeing boat).
Note that it's subject to weather (like much on I.R.), so there are days they will get backed up and be playing catch up.
They will take reservations now--use their winter contact info.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Ingo wrote:Here's the link for the water taxi: http://www.rockharborlodge.com/water-taxi. The smaller boat on the right of the picture is the "taxi" (the larger one is the sightseeing boat).
Note that it's subject to weather (like much on I.R.), so there are days they will get backed up and be playing catch up.
They will take reservations now--use their winter contact info.

Thanks!!!