Greenstone Ridge Trail (Rockharbor to Windigo)

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Brett
NewbieCake

Greenstone Ridge Trail (Rockharbor to Windigo)

Post by Brett »

Hello everyone! I am contemplating planning a 3-4 day hike on the Greenstone Ridge Trail (solo) in June from Rock Harbor to Windigo. This will be my first true backpacking experience. I wanted to know your thoughts on the trail. Is it well marked and easy to follow at all times? My biggest concern is getting lost. For example, on some of the out croppings on this trail (when you exit the forest onto a peak from the trail) are their rock cairns to help guide you to the rest of the trail so you can continue on? Or does it require significant route finding? Is it easy to lose the trail at any point and get lost? What are the trickiest parts on this trail to navigate?

Thank you
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Greenstone Ridge Trail (Rockharbor to Windigo)

Post by MikeT »

Welcome. This trail is extremely well marked and easy to find. Have fun!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

You should have no problems. All trail junctions are marked by a post. There are parts of the island where rock cairns are placed to help out on rocky outcroppings. Not really needed on the Greenstone.

Have you considered other routes? The Greenstone is the most "famous" trail, but not my favorite. Also, all the campsites require a hike off the ridge and a hike back up in the morning. If you are coming into Windigo, look into the Feldman Loop. Just a suggestion.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

JerryB wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:30 pm Have you considered other routes? The Greenstone is the most "famous" trail, but not my favorite. Also, all the campsites require a hike off the ridge and a hike back up in the morning. If you are coming into Windigo, look into the Feldman Loop. Just a suggestion.
I'll second JerryB's idea. The Greenstone is like a big highway on Isle Royale. If you don't mind bumping into other hikers and you want to keep your time in transit easy, stay on the Greenstone. If you want to get away from people and have more of a wilderness experience...and don't mind an adventure with the rewards of breath-taking views, change it up to the Feldtmann.
Brett
NewbieCake

Post by Brett »

Thanks all for the helpful comments! I have not looked into other routes yet, but will be coming into Rockharbor from the UP. Is the Feldtmann an easy trail to follow or is it more difficult like the Minong? I would ideally like to take the plane to the island, but am worried about fuel since I don't think you can transport that on the plane. Do they sell fuel for JetBoil's on Isle Royale? If so, how much? If I did decided to do the Feldtmann loop, how many days would you recommend? Is it possible to hike from Windigo to Feldmann lake day one for (8.8 miles). Day two hike from Feldmann lake to Island mine (14.5 miles). Day three hike from Island Mine back to Windigo (6.9 miles) and take the plane back to the UP. Is this possible (2 nights and 3 days)? What time does the plane typically arrive in Windigo and Rock Harbor? Does it wait or just leave if you are not there promptly? I would want to make sure I have time to hike back to Windigo from Island mine to catch the plane.

Thank you!
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

If you are coming into RH, Feldtman Loop will not be ideal; it is on the other side of the island. (It is a far easier trail and easier to follow, than the Minong.) Given your time constraints, you should focus on the East end. Consider lane Cove, Daisy and RH (can skip Daisy, if you only have two nights). Even with a route like this, you have options_ Hike to Lane Cove from RH or (my suggestion) take a water taxi to Hidden Lake and go to Lane Cove from there to avoid needing to backtrack. Lane Cove is beautiful. The trail should not be hard to follow.

As for your Feldtman questions, your proposed route skips Siskiwit, a favorite site for many. If you had to skip a site, most would suggest Island Mine. It would be a long hike but the stretch from islanf Mine to Windigo is a pretty easy walk in the woods and largely downhill.

I prefer the West end myself. The Voyageur II can drop you at Windigo or McCargo, opening up a whole bunch of routes to you.
BethHaas
NewbieCake

Post by BethHaas »

JerryB wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:30 pm
Have you considered other routes? The Greenstone is the most "famous" trail, but not my favorite. Also, all the campsites require a hike off the ridge and a hike back up in the morning. If you are coming into Windigo, look into the Feldman Loop. Just a suggestion.
Hi Jerry. I am a 64-year-old woman backpacking back east for the first time. Have done plenty muti-day hikes including Grand Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone and osemite but this will be in totally different terrain. I will be solo and light-packing. I have as much time as I want to take frankly I will be overnighting at Rock Harbor on the night of Sept 1. BTW, I like to dawdle a bit and am not particularly a brisk hiker; the journey is my destination.

I was thinking of spending 7 nights on the trail initially along Greenstone Trail but my objective is simply to complete a traverse of the Island so Feldman is possible. Other than mosquitos (don't have many in the desert), is there anything else I would need to prepare for over and above what I might do otherwise? Also, how practical is it to camp outside of the campgrounds? Thanks.

Tucsontrekker
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

First of all, whatever route you take will be great and you will enjoy it. I am still confused about how you plan on getting to the east side from RH, but i am sure it is clear to you.

To answer your questions: Do not plan on camping away from the campgrounds. You need a special permit for that and it is not allowed in some sections. I suggest you visit once before considering that (lots of swamps). You are right about bugs. Bring a head net, just in case. Consider retreating your clothes in permethrin--that will help. At least there are no ticks! The only other point i offer is to carry enough water. Especially on the Greenstone, do not plan on water access between campgrounds.

Oh, when you overnight at RH, don't miss the day hike on the Scoville Trail. It is great!