Feldtmann Lake Loop to Huginnin Cove (Advice Needed)

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Brett
NewbieCake

Feldtmann Lake Loop to Huginnin Cove (Advice Needed)

Post by Brett »

Hello all!

I was originally going to attempt to hike the Greenstone Ridge Trail from Rockharbor to Windigo, but based on feedback from the group, I have decided on a different plan and would appreciate any and all advice. My new plan is listed below and based on three nights and four days (targeting the first weekend in June).

Day 1 - Arrive at Windigo via plane and hike to Feldtmann Lake (8.8 miles).
Day 2 - Hike from Feldtmann Lake to Siskiwit Bay (10.3 miles).
Day 3 - Hike from Feldtmann Lake to Huginin Cove (14.4 miles (long day!!)) or hike to Washington Creek (11 miles).
Day 4 - Catch plane back to Houghton, MI (would be a 4.6 mile hike back to Windigo from Huginnin Cove).

I'm wondering what the Feldtmann trail, Island Mine, and Huginin Cove trails are like? Are they maintained and easy to follow? Any difficult spots to navigate?

Is a 14.4 mile hike from Siskiwit to Huginnin Cove too ambitious? Would it be safer to spend my last night at Washington Creek? I just hate to miss out on an awesome hike to Huginnin Cove as I'm not sure when I'll be able to return to Isle Royale.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Feldtmann Lake Loop to Huginnin Cove (Advice Needed)

Post by hooky »

I did the first part of your trip 3 years ago, but instead of turning West at Island Mine, I went east to S Desor. (I'm assuming you have a typo on day 3 and you're going from Siskiwit to Huginin). Turning west like you are, makes that last half all downhill and from everything I've read, smooth sailing. That trail is well worn and wide. I think it's a great itinerary. I would encourage you to hit rainbow cove for a sunset on Day 1. Set up camp, shed the pack, grab your headlamp, flask & a cigar and take the easy walk to the cove.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Day 3 is a long hike, but it is certainly doable. Siskiwit to Island Mine is uphill (as is almost any hike from the shore to the middle of the island) but fairly brief. The Greenstone section of the hike is slightly downhill--a walk in the woods. There is a small creek at Island Mine and you can refill your water there. Not much of a creek. Once, I had to dig out a little hole to collect water, so make you sure you are carrying pleny, just in case.

You should have no problems with the trails. At Feldman, be sure to hike out to Rainbow Cove. And, going up to Island mine, look at the old locomotive. You will see a large hill of mine tailings (on your right, I believe.) I hike over them and you will see it. You will have nice views on Day 2 especially.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Brett wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:25 pm Day 1 - Arrive at Windigo via plane and hike to Feldtmann Lake (8.8 miles).
Day 2 - Hike from Feldtmann Lake to Siskiwit Bay (10.3 miles).
Day 3 - Hike from Feldtmann Lake to Huginin Cove (14.4 miles (long day!!)) or hike to Washington Creek (11 miles).
Day 4 - Catch plane back to Houghton, MI (would be a 4.6 mile hike back to Windigo from Huginnin Cove).
Day1 & 2 - Excellent
Day 3 & 4 - I would not do. I love Huginnin, but it is too long of a day and the first part is all uphill and can be wet. The second part is downhill, but you will be tired and end up at Washington. I would plan on staying at Island Mine or going to Washington creek depending on when your plane is scheduled. Keep in mind, the plane may not run or, may be late. That would make me want to stay at Island and hike in because you might get delayed and stay at Washington.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

I did the Windigo to Feldtman, Sisikwit and island mine then headed East last year. As far as Feldtman to Sisikwit it's was low hanging wet brushy trail, but then it was a very foggy time. It just seemed like non ending wet brush hitting my pant legs. When I left Sisikwit I never did find the bridge that crosses the creek. On the map the trail runs along the bay, walking on wash rock and then goes in the marsh to cross a bridge, never found that. There is another bridge about a half to mile up and that one was obvious. I went solo, so took a gps. Be prepared for wet clothes and feet, don't skimp on taking extra socks.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Stephen wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:33 pmIt just seemed like non ending wet brush hitting my pant legs. . . .Be prepared for wet clothes and feet, don't skimp on taking extra socks.
A pair of Gators really helps on those wet brushy trails.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I believe I know the missing bridge--really a few logs. It has been gone for several years.. I had to cross the stream on the beach.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

View from the bridge in Sept of 14. Thought I had a picture of the bridge, but I don't. If I recall correctly, It's an actual plank bridge.

Looking westward

Image]

Looking eastward towards the lake. It's quite a ways inland from the beach.

Footbridge through the marsh. This is looking south, but it's not nearly as easy to see when approaching it. It was grown over on the south end of it and I actually stepped off it at one point.

Brett
NewbieCake

Post by Brett »

Thanks for all the help, appreciate the advice and support! First trip backpacking so I don't want to turn myself off and disinterested by getting lost!