Feldtmann Loop Direction revisited

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Feldtmann Loop Direction revisited

Post by Ingo »

I'm contemplating doing the Feldtmann Loop solo this May, since I can't find an available paddling partner. It seems that counter-clockwise is the more common direction, but am thinking that clockwise may work best for me: I'm not in the best shape and have a knee that reminds me it's there (but has held up so far). So I know that a 10 mile day on the trail will be long and arduous, but have learned to pace myself and plug away.

But what really kills me are steep climbs. So I'm thinking going with a gentler ascent to Island Mine, and a steeper descent down to Siskiwit. Reading past reports it also sounds like the section from Siskiwit to the tower is a more gradual slope than between the tower and Feldtmann Lake. Is that true? Or is there not much difference? Any other thoughts on my thinking?

Given the VII schedule that time of year, it would probably be something like this:
- Sat: arrive, and on to Island Mine
- Sun: Siskiwit Bay. Short day, time to enjoy S.B.
- Mon: Feldtmann Lake.
- Tues: Layover at F.L. Split up the 2 longest days. Explore Rainbow Cove, etc.
- Weds: Washington Creek.
- Thurs: back on the VII.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Feldtmann Loop Direction revisited

Post by hooky »

I went the other way. From what I remember, the climb out of Feldtmann to the tower was relatively steep compared to the descent to Siskiwit. With that being said, my knee pain is always worse on the descent than the climb. You'll have a pretty steep, short climb out of Feldtmann to Windigo directly east of Grace island (roughly halfway), but you'll get a nice vista on the ridge as a reward and it would make a great lunch spot.

I like the idea of a 0 day at Feldtmann that lets you explore not just the cove, but Rainbow point.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

hooky wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 pm I went the other way. From what I remember, the climb out of Feldtmann to the tower was relatively steep compared to the descent to Siskiwit. With that being said, my knee pain is always worse on the descent than the climb. You'll have a pretty steep, short climb out of Feldtmann to Windigo directly east of Grace island (roughly halfway), but you'll get a nice vista on the ridge as a reward and it would make a great lunch spot.

I like the idea of a 0 day at Feldtmann that lets you explore not just the cove, but Rainbow point.
Yeah, I understand the descents on the knees part--but I can roll down in the worst case :wink: .
I have hiked up to Grace Lookout from Windigo, so have an idea of that side--didn't appear to be too different on the Feldtmann side.
Thanks for the feedback!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I am taking the same trip, same direction and for the same reason. The hike, Wind.-I.M. is a gradual, mostly steady uphill. The stretch between I.M. and Siskiwit is steep. If you feel you do not need the layover, consider saving the day and using it at Huginin Cove at the end. Enjoy
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

On my second trip to ISRO NP I did the Feldtmann Loop clockwise, as you are planning. The hike to the tower from Feldtmann is definitely steep. I started out solo, but ended up hiking with a young person from Japan. I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit per your plan. I wouldn't mind trying a canoe trip myself this year, but I don't think its appropriate solo for me.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

JerryB wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:07 pm If you feel you do not need the layover, consider saving the day and using it at Huginin Cove at the end.
Exactly. I'd love to revisit Huginnin. It's also possible I could add 3 days and have a very laid back trip including Huginnin.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

By the way, I think May is a great time to take this hike. The views extend quite a bit farther out because not all the trees have leafed out. Island Mine is an entirely different site at that time of year.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Roll on, brother!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Ingo, maybe we will see each other on the Island...my group plans on hiking the same month and in the same vicinity (base-camping out of Siskiwit Bay).

I've done the Feldtmann both ways. I know the popular way to do it is counter-clockwise because you have a short first day, then the next segment to S.B. is all the hard, uphill stuff right away. However, I hate these facts about doing it counter-clockwise:

1) the last couple of miles into Siskiwit Bay (along that old road?) are BORING. I'm tired and am quickly losing focus and energy along that last segment.
2) the hike out of Siskiwit Bay to Island Mine is not fun.
3) the segment of the Greenstone from Island Mine to Windigo is also boring.

Thusly, I've convinced myself that going CLOCKWISE on the Feldtmann is the better way because:

1) get the boring hike out of the way on the Greenstone right away.
2) all downhill to Siskiwit, baby!
3) Getting bored or tired on the way to Feldtmann Lake? Surprise! Get ready to climb a ridge!

While it sounds like I pretty much poo-pooed the whole Feldtmann loop, nothing could be further from the truth: I absolutely love Siskiwit Bay and Feldtmann Lake/Rainbow Cove. They're up there for my most favorite campsites on the island because not only are the beautiful, but they (can be) remote and quiet. As a matter of fact, I believe you're going to find this out doing the Feldtmann in May. You're probably only going to run into a three-some that carries good tobacco and wicked good whisky and scotch...
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Fonix, thanks for the confirmation of my thinking.
Looking at 5/20-25 and trying to firm things up. Still considering staying til Sunday (28th) and hanging out at Huginnin/Washington Creek, but don't know that I can stand to put up with myself for 8 whole days :roll: . I'll be the old fart, looks like he's about to die, and saying "No problem, I'm great!" Will have some decent Bourbon and nicotine lozenges...
TomB
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by TomB »

I have done the loop twice, both times counter clockwise. I like to go in May, and I'm going again this year May 20 to 28th. I haven't decided which direction to go either. I like to spend an extra day at Feldtmann Lake and try some fishing, and then enjoy Rainbow Cove. I have never been to Huginnin Cove so this year I plan to spend at least a night there.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

TomB wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 am I have done the loop twice, both times counter clockwise. I like to go in May, and I'm going again this year May 20 to 28th. I haven't decided which direction to go either. I like to spend an extra day at Feldtmann Lake and try some fishing, and then enjoy Rainbow Cove. I have never been to Huginnin Cove so this year I plan to spend at least a night there.
I will just miss you, having settled on going out 5/29 - 6/4. You'll enjoy Huginnin.