Summer 17 trip planning assistance

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

sdion4
NewbieCake

Summer 17 trip planning assistance

Post by sdion4 »

Hi;
I have three questions. First, I'm bringing two physically fit, high school athletes new to backpacking (established campers) to the Island early summer. Thinking about entering at WIndigo for 5 nights and days. They will want to see the water and be challenged but not exhausted daily. Also will enter anywhere along the island for a one way trail experience. Not sure the ridge hike is the best for this group. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Also, timing. We are doing the schedule dance - and it looks like late May or Mid-June are our only options. I don't see many individuals posting about May trips to the island (May 20 - 27) - thoughts about that timing? Our bags are good to 20 degrees, and all have wicking layers and good rain gear. & footwear. Other option is mid- June.

This is my second trip to the island. Did the ridge hike in the mid 80's.Remember fondly a campground on the ridge trail - that was filled with aspen or birch. It was stunning. Any ideas which campground I'm remembering?
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Summer 17 trip planning assistance

Post by hooky »

Windigo to Feldtmann to Siskiwit to S Desor to Malone with a pick up by VII. You could throw in Island mine for a night.

Another option might be a McCargoe dropoff and work your way back to Windigo, making up any extra nights at huginin or washington creek.

Our first trip was at the end of May and we hardly saw people nor did we use any bug dope. It sounds like you're already prepared for all the different weather possibilities.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Sounds like you will have a nice trip. Dress in layers and you will be fine that time of year. In addition to the routes proposed by hooky, the Feldman Loop and Hugginin would be great--a really nice mix of the island. McCargo, Todd, Moskey and Chippewa, or some such combination would be nice as well. The only downside tot he second option is more time on the Voyager and no chance to reward yourselves with "real" food back at Windigo. It sounds silly, but all things equal, I love to end my trips at Windigo, so I can spend some time on the store deck with a carbonated beverage and frozen pizza!

Your description of the mystery camp site sounds to me like Hatchet Lake.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'm thinking about a May 20-25 trip myself. Might see you on the boat!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

sdion4 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am I don't see many individuals posting about May trips to the island (May 20 - 27)
Ingo wrote: I'm thinking about a May 20-25 trip myself.
hooky wrote: Our first trip was at the end of May and we hardly saw people nor did we use any bug dope
Hey you all, shhh...you're giving away the secret.

The fact is, hiking in late May/early June is great for a multitude of reasons. No bugs, no people, no problems finding a campsite or shelter. Additionally, if you plan things correctly you can get a "free vacation day"* with Memorial day.

99% of my trips on Isle Royale are during the late May/early June time frame for these reasons. I believe my group can count on two hands or less the number of people we've run into on the trails or in camp sites...and we've hiked the whole island in our 11 trips. I love that during the day it usually is a comfortable 60 degrees, and at night it hovers around freezing. Its truly my idea camping/backpacking weather, and I'm generally reluctant to hike/camp any other time because I'm so spoiled by my ideal conditions on the island.

So, more to your post...the Feldtmann loop is a fantastic option (I believe I've done it four times), and as hooky mentioned, going to McCargoe and working your way back to Windigo with some side trips or extra days at Washington Creek or Hugginin (done this time twice as well) sounds like exactly what you want.
sdion4 wrote: This is my second trip to the island. Did the ridge hike in the mid 80's.Remember fondly a campground on the ridge trail - that was filled with aspen or birch. It was stunning. Any ideas which campground I'm remembering?
I'm inclined to agree with hooky that your mystery campsite is Hatchet Lake. It could also be Little Todd Harbor, where I took a photo that I have hung in my home: https://goo.gl/photos/32z5tBSxmms3mzAA7

Let us know what you've figured out for your trip when you make a decision, we'll all be interested in knowing where you are going.