2 half days, 1 night guide?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

LW1
NewbieCake

2 half days, 1 night guide?

Post by LW1 »

Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone has spent essentially 2 half days, 1 night visiting Isle Royale? And what you would recommend for hiking?

My plan so far is to arrive from Copper Harbor (around noon), stay at the Inn, and leave the next day (around 2PM).

From what I can tell my options to choose from are:
Stoll Trail to Scoville Point
Canoe/Hike to Lookout Louise
Hike to Suzy's Cave or 3 Mile Campound and back

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the park. I've always wanted to visit and the opportunity for a quick trip came up. Thanks for any advice you could give.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: 2 half days, 1 night guide?

Post by Tightlines01 »

If I were you I'd think hard about getting settled day 1 and hiking the Stoll trail to Scoville point. It's a very easy hike and no pressure. I believe the hotel includes a 1/2 day canoe rental.
Day 2. Get up and paddle over to lookout Louise. Paddle Tobin Harbor and head back on the boat.

It won't matter how many days you have, you'll always want one more : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome LW1. The options you list are all good ones. Scoville Point your first afternoon and Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise the following morning. The hike from Hidden Lake to Lookout Louise is about 2 miles round trip. The view from on top is excellent assuming a clear day. Depending on the days you are on Island you have additional options by utilizing the scheduled tours offered via the M.V. Sandy water bus. Check out page 9 in the Park newsletter, The Greenstone. For example, if you were to arrive on a Tuesday or Thursday there is a 2 pm trip to The Edisen Fishery across from Daisy Farm campground. You would also have access to the Rock Harbor lighthouse and the Bangsund Cabin, which is the summer home of Rolf and Candy Peterson of the wolf-moose study. Sometimes you're lucky enough that they are home. They will even drop you off at Daisy Farm if you're up to walking back.There is also a ranger guided trip to Lookout Louise on the Sandy and a nighttime sunset cruise. Lastly, if you have the flexibility and like to star gaze, pick a date during New Moon. The weather might cooperate for a great view. I can guarantee that you will be wishing you had booked a 2nd or 3rd day.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
LW1
NewbieCake

Post by LW1 »

Thank you TightLines and Ed!! Your (very fast!) responses have helped me a lot already. I am already feeling like I won't have enough time there but... I'll take what I can get! :)

My tentative itinerary will be:
Arrive (Thursday)
Edison Fishery and Rock Harbor Lighthouse Tour 2-6PM
Scoville Point (should still be light enough out)

Friday morning Lookout Louise
Head back to Copper Harbor

This won't be until July/August, but I'll try to post a trip review when I'm back!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I don't know how full the MV Sandy trips might sometimes get but the concession operators will take an advanced reservation.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013