Newbie Late June Trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

dea_husky07
NewbieCake

Newbie Late June Trip

Post by dea_husky07 »

Hello,

My buddies and I are planning a June 23-27 trip. We have never been to IR but are all in good shape and have done other hikes/camping trips. We would like any advice, helpful hints or any other type of knowledge one can give for first timers to IR. Below is our preliminary itinerary.

Friday: Rock Harbor to Daisy
Sat: Daisy to McCargoe Cove
Sun: MC Cove to Moskey Basin
Mon: Moskey to Lane Cove
Tue: Lane Cove to Rock Harbor

We know that our Monday trip will be a long day but we feel up for the challenge. We are also aware that if we dont want to make the trip to Lane we can head back down to 3 Mile as well. We are just looking for any additional advice, other places to see on this loop, how bad will bugs be, and any thing else that you knowledgeable IR hikers have to offer :D

Thanks for anything you have to offer!
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Newbie Late June Trip

Post by Base654 »

I have done your Fri-Sun portion many times, no problems there. I usually go from Moskey to RH. The miles are about the same for your trip, but you are gong to have to go over the Island. The miles are enough fr me, I wouldn't want to add the ridge climbs to it. It will be quite challenging. If you are planning to take the ridge route, you don't have anywhere to bail. If you take at the harbor route you could stop at Three Mile for lunch and think about it. You will be in prime bug season, be prepared. I use 100% deet on my clothes and 30% on skin if it gets really bad. most of the time just the clothes are enough. A suggestion, stop in open areas and hill tops to let the wind help keep the bugs away. Have Fun.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Newbie Late June Trip

Post by MikeT »

Base654 is right on the money. I would add a couple of things...
- Getting off the boat, Daisy can be hard to make in bad weather. Leave the possibility of Three-Mile open on the first day. Also, think about taking the Tobin Harbor trail for the first section. It is a bit longer, but much easier. Especially if it is wet.
- On this side of the island you have many options. Make sure you are ready to adjust your itinerary to accommodate the group. Itineraries are adjustable and they usually change based on conditions.
Have a great trip!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"