Hammock friendly campsites

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mark.howe
NewbieCake

Re: Hammock friendly campsites

Post by mark.howe »

Folks,

I've been perusing the site looking for reflections from fellow hammock campers on specific sites that may be hammock friendly. I've started to compile that information as well as I can on an excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is very rough, but a start and from what I can gather a one-of-a-kind resource for those who wish to plan their trips in anticipation of hammock camping on the island.

Some questions.

Could this be the beginning of an informal guide for hammock campers and perhaps part of a sticky post on the site?

Are there general recommendations that should be emphasized such as know and follow the park rules regarding hammocks, plan to hit the ground especially during busy seasons, and know the difference between aspen and birch?

Is this a helpful resource that others may be willing to share their experiences/observations so that it could be updated?

Any suggestions on how the data might be displayed better (in some cases I've entered yes or no or maybe, in others specific numbers of potential hangs based on the feedback)?

All feedback beyond these questions is welcomed and encouraged.
Attachments
ISRO Hammock Sites.xlsx
(10.29 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

i think emphasizing those general points would be very important. Thanks
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

I will check my notes and let you some sites that work.

-mods- I would shade out the cells for sites that don’t exist and shelters.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

A small suggestion: Convert this to a Google Sheet, so that it can be more easily shared online instead of having to download it.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I don't keep good enough notes to know where I hung on the trip that I hammock camped, so I'll try to figure it out from MikeT's site. http://isleroyale.info/campgrounds.html

Feldtmann Lake - I was the first one there and I had to go all the way to the end by the trail to Rainbow cove to find a site I was comfortable with. Either 1 or 2 has a big hardwood tree. I didn't check group sites.

Siskiwit - It was either #2 or 3# and I was right on the edge of the pad. I didn't look at group sites.

South Desor - I checked out all the sites (including the group sites) and settled on #2. I think #1 might have worked in a pinch. None of the group sites looked like they'd work.

Malone - At the time there were no rules about it and I hung outside of shelter 4 using the brace of an overhang and a tree as anchor points. I had searched all the group sites and there wasn't a hang available. I seem to remember a lack of sizable trees and what was there was a fair distance apart.