Minong Trail day hikes from Hugginin Cove, thoughts?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

NealMcBeal
NewbieCake

Minong Trail day hikes from Hugginin Cove, thoughts?

Post by NealMcBeal »

Hey everyone-

This will be my second trip back to the island, first was last year when I did the Feldtmann Loop. This year we are considering camping at Hugginnin Cove as a base camp and doing day hikes up and back on the Minong. I don't have any experience on the Minong and was wondering what people thought of this.
  • What are the first 4-6 miles of the Minong like? Is it scenic and worth it? Will we likely see many people?
  • Does Hugginin get crowded at all? We would be there 3 nights total and are looking for a more quiet area to stay.
  • What are the bugs like currently, and/or late June? Are they better or worse on the north side of the island?
Thanks!
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Minong Trail day hikes from Hugginin Cove, thoughts?

Post by MikeT »

The first of the west section is mostly inland until starting on high ridges.
The first part of the East Huginnin trail is along the north Shore and gorgeous.
The campground is usually very peaceful and not busy at all
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Minong Trail day hikes from Hugginin Cove, thoughts?

Post by Tom »

What are the first 4-6 miles of the Minong like?
Uphill? :roll:
Is it scenic and worth it? Will we likely see many people?
I'd need to go back to my notes to see where you drop off the final ridge (which has some amazing mature white pine trees, as I recall) as that might be within 4-6mi. Much of that section is in the woods, though; and not the most scenic the trail has to offer. I've spent years attempting to suppress the memories that are the long, up/down/up/down/repeat slog that is the hike from North Desor. :shock:
I would doubt you see many, if any, people.

Does Hugginin get crowded at all? We would be there 3 nights total and are looking for a more quiet area to stay.
"Crowded" is not a common Isle Royale term. I'm not sure I've ever seen that camp full, which actually surprises me given the distance from Windigo. With maybe exception to Daisy Farm and Rock Harbor during peak season, I think most camps are pretty darn quiet.

What are the bugs like currently, and/or late June? Are they better or worse on the north side of the island?
There will be bugs. Black flies might be on the down-swing. Mosquitos will probably be around, especially on the trails and valleys. Campgrounds on the "big lake" can have highly variable bug conditions, mostly based as a function of the wind direction. If you get a breeze off the lake, you might not see any.