Meeting people mid-trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

The_Guy
NewbieCake

Meeting people mid-trip

Post by The_Guy »

I have a friend who wants to join me in my adventure this summer, just not for all 10 days of it. The plan is for him to come to the Island on the Queen and then catch the Voyager the next day from Rock Harbor to Moskey and then hike from Moskey to the W Chickenbone crossroads on the greenstone where I will meet him. (I'll be coming from Hatchet Lake)
Has anyone tried a mid-island meetup? I doubt I'll have any phone signal for a couple days since leaving the Feldtmann loop so I know weather could play a factor. What would be the best way to receive messages if a boat didn't travel or he missed a boat somehow? Do you just plan a hard time and if a person doesn't meet that time keep on going? I know there will be a lot of moving parts so I'm hoping someone else has done this and can share their experiences.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Meeting people mid-trip

Post by Base654 »

I met friends once, but we did it at a campsite. That gave us most of the day to find each other. Our plan was for me to be there at the "all goes well time" and if something happened we would just meet for dinner, or the next day. I planned two days at the campsite in case of delays or "we" would spend one night. They had my schedule and after day two, they were on their own to find me.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Unfortunately the Voyageur II doesn't stop at Moskey. Although he could take the water taxi. I agree that meeting at a campground with a plan B is the way to do it.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

Thanks for that heads up, I read Malone Bay and just mistook it for Moskey, back to the drawing board for this one
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

They go to Chippewa Harbor so he could take the Indian portage up to Richie then up to W chickenbone right? He's trying to not pay the full fee taking the water taxi solo, it can get pricey.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

The_Guy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:48 pm They go to Chippewa Harbor so he could take the Indian portage up to Richie then up to W chickenbone right? He's trying to not pay the full fee taking the water taxi solo, it can get pricey.
Yup, that could work!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Without more details of your proposed itineraries, I'll be making some assumptions here. It sounds like you are arriving on the Voyageur then doing the Feldtman Loop as you make your way up the Island, so your hoped for meeting would probably be your 3rd or 4th day. Consider taking the Voyageur all the way to Rock Harbor. Spend those 3 or 4 days looping around the north end (Lane Cove, Moskey Basin, Daisy Farm, 3 mile or something similar), then meet your friend in Rock Harbor as he gets off the boat. You can then both make your way to Windigo over the next 6 to 7 days where you depart on the Voyageur or Sea Hunter while your friend then takes the Voyageur back to Rock Harbor to spend the night and catch the Queen the next day. Making this work would be easy during peek season when all the boats are running at their maximum schedules. You could also spend the remaining of your combined trip on the northeast end instead of going to Windigo. Some of it would be a repeat for you but I don't think you'll mind and it makes it easier for your friend to catch the Queen.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

I'll be coming over on the Queen July 3 then head to Windigo via the Minong, coming back around the Feldtmann Loop and then heading back towards Rock Harbor via the Greenstone.
He'll come across on the Queen on July 10, catch the Voyageur on the 11th and meet me on day 8.
We'll meet at W chickenbone (and camp there), on the 12th stay at daisy farm and then both leave on the 13th at Rock Harbor via the Queen.