Itinerary for later this week

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

fortkevin10
NewbieCake

Itinerary for later this week

Post by fortkevin10 »

Hello! I will be on the island this Friday for the first time with three others. We are experienced backpackers, but this will be the first time for all of us. We are firm on the dates for going to/from the island, be we are open for all other ideas.

Thursday, 8/10: Leave home and go to Grand Portage (8 hours).
Friday, 8/11: 8:30 ferry on Seahunter III to Windigo (1.5 hours). Windigo to Feldtmann Lake (8.8 mi).
Saturday, 8/12: Feldtmann Lake to Siskiwit Bay.
Sunday, 8/13: Siskiwit Bay to Island Mine.
Monday, 8/14: Island Mine to Lake Desor South.
Tuesday, 8/15: Lake Desor South to Washington Creek.
Wednesday, 8/16: Washington Creek to Windigo. 2:00 ferry on Seahunter III to Grand Portage.
Thursday, 8/17: Drive home.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Also, we have not yet made ferry reservations as this is a rather last-minute trip. I will check ASAP, but will this be an issue? Also, how crowded are campgrounds this time of year? Are small, telescopic fishing rods worth bringing? Thanks in advance.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary for later this week

Post by Ingo »

I haven't been to Desor, but would be tempted to substitute Huginnin Cove--beautiful spot on the lake.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Itinerary for later this week

Post by Base654 »

S. Desor is ok, nothing special.