10 days / 9 nights route considerations

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: 10 days / 9 nights route considerations

Post by Ingo »

What did you decide for a route? The Minong? 2 months til my trip...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Ingo wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:44 pm What did you decide for a route? The Minong? 2 months til my trip...
  • Land in Rock Harbor - hike to Daisy farm
  • Daisy farm to Moskey
  • Moskey to Chippewa Harbor
  • Chippewa Harbor to West Chicken bone
  • WCB to Todd Harbor
  • TH to Little Todd
  • Little Todd to N. Lake desor
  • NLD to Washington creek
+ 1 zero spent in Washington creek (if not used earlier in trip) or use it to hiking Huginnin cove loop, fly out of Windigo on 10th day

That 2 months will fly by!
pyrowaves
NewbieCake

Post by pyrowaves »

I just got back on the 23rd from our trip.

Based on what it looks like you are doing you won't be disappointed with Todd Harbor. We stayed at Island mine, TH, McCargoe, Threemile.

Todd Harbor was our favorite place! there is only one shelter which we didn't get, but there is a great campsite adjacent to the community fire pit and pretty much on the water as much as you can be. In my opinion it was better than the shelter. There was lots of diftwood for campfires too. it might be gone by the time you get there though.

a few notes that made Todd Harbor great:

1. The campsite above was awesome. Careful setting a tent up. There are two good spots, one you have to watch out for tree roots, but is dry and flat. The second is a little damp if it has been rainy, but it will save having to deal with the roots. We had a visitor around 9pm on our first night too.

2. If you have time make you way past the dock and up into the group sites. Follow the sites off to the left/straight in. Past the last site go in one of the many trails and 10-30 feet in you'll come to an outcropping of rocks on a point in the harbor. Pretty nice views. You'll also be able to hear/see the waterfall off to the left.

3. The waterfall. Even if you can't make time to get through the group sites. Its really cool to go check out the waterfall. If you get the campsite I mentioned you'll be able to find the trail to Isle Royale mine. The trail starts between the community fire pit and beach/water. short hike to the mine, then follow your ears and one of the couple paths to the water. Once you get to the river there were three ways across (you'll have to do this for the best access) 1. Take a left at the water and there is a big rock in the middle. With poles or a stick you can jump from shore to rock to shore. 2. If your balance is good, take a down pine tree across. or 3. take a right at the river and follow it all the way down to the top of the waterfall. When we were there, there was enough debris to make a solid dam across and a log/rock to step across.
There were three of us in my group and each of us took a different route for various reasons. I took the one at the top of the waterfall as I don't trust my knees/ankles to to the others and it seemed the safest at the time.

While we were there a couple other hikers jumped right in the water. Superior was cold, but they went to the waterfall outlet which was really warm. At the waterfall was also were we saw some decent size lake trout(I think) 2-3 of them. But none were biting.

4. The sunsets! We were there for two nights and both sunsets were amazing. The first one we had a moose practically in our campsite with us during the sunset.

Photo credits go out to one of my friends. Not me.
pyrowaves
NewbieCake

Post by pyrowaves »

The site:

The place with the tree roots:

Directly to the left in this picture, is where the other tent location was. We moved our tent for our second night because of the roots. You can't miss it if you are there.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing the photos and details! I will check those places out. Can’t wait to explore the island again. Reallly looking forward to Todd Harbor.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Finished our food plan for this hike. My food bag is going to weigh more than all my other gear combined. haha! Let me know what you think!

breakfast

lunch

dinner

cook kit