First time to IR, looking for trip tips out of rock Harbour

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First time to IR, looking for trip tips out of rock Harbour

Post by Ingo »

Browninggold9_72 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am ... what are the pros and cons between the ranger and the queen??
Queen IV: quickest trip, pretty comfortable, snacks, you can go out on the bow, registration is at Rock Harbor.
Ranger III: longest trip, most comfortable, big boat, sandwiches (meh) and chili, Ranger talks along the way, registration on the boat.
The Ranger is probably the best boat if you're prone to sea-sickness. But the Queen IV isn't bad, nothing like it's predecessors (the Queen III and II).
If you just want to get there, take the Queen. If you want the boat ride to be part of the experience do the Ranger.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Browninggold9_72 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am
thesneakymonkey wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:08 pm Here’s the map: https://www.amazon.com/Royale-National- ... 1566953677

We use exped synmat UL7s for our sleeping pads. We are both side sleepers and these keep our hips off the ground.

Thanks for watching our videos :oops: ! Hopefully they were helpful.
Yes your videos were helpful. You guys took the ranger to the island, in your opinion, what are the pros and cons between the ranger and the queen??
Well I’ve never been on the queen, but the ranger was nice. It’s big and has nice normal clean bathrooms (not your typical boat head). It has a variety of seats, tables, and such. They have a little kitchen area that serves some food and coffee and stuff. You get your permits done right on the boat so you don’t have to wait in line on the island. The biggest con is that it is a 6 hour trip... but it did go relitively fast I thought. But I like boat rides :lol:
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

Post by Browninggold9_72 »

Ingo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:19 pm
Browninggold9_72 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am ... what are the pros and cons between the ranger and the queen??
Queen IV: quickest trip, pretty comfortable, snacks, you can go out on the bow, registration is at Rock Harbor.
Ranger III: longest trip, most comfortable, big boat, sandwiches (meh) and chili, Ranger talks along the way, registration on the boat.
The Ranger is probably the best boat if you're prone to sea-sickness. But the Queen IV isn't bad, nothing like it's predecessors (the Queen III and II).
If you just want to get there, take the Queen. If you want the boat ride to be part of the experience do the Ranger.
Thanks for your input and suggestions. As first timers I'm trying to gather as much Intel and knowledge from others as I can!
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

thesneakymonkey wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm
Browninggold9_72 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am
thesneakymonkey wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:08 pm Here’s the map: https://www.amazon.com/Royale-National- ... 1566953677

We use exped synmat UL7s for our sleeping pads. We are both side sleepers and these keep our hips off the ground.

Thanks for watching our videos :oops: ! Hopefully they were helpful.
Yes your videos were helpful. You guys took the ranger to the island, in your opinion, what are the pros and cons between the ranger and the queen??
Well I’ve never been on the queen, but the ranger was nice. It’s big and has nice normal clean bathrooms (not your typical boat head). It has a variety of seats, tables, and such. They have a little kitchen area that serves some food and coffee and stuff. You get your permits done right on the boat so you don’t have to wait in line on the island. The biggest con is that it is a 6 hour trip... but it did go relitively fast I thought. But I like boat rides :lol:
Thank you so much. We both enjoy boating, so it looks like we are gonna take the ranger
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

One additional scheduling difference to point out is during July, the Queen offers transportation to/from the Island 6 days a week while the Ranger is only 2 times per week. But if you're schedule does not require that additional flexibility, then in light of all the other pros and cons stated, either boat is fine.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
pyrowaves
NewbieCake

Post by pyrowaves »

I'm doing a trip with friends for the first time the last week in June. With our schedules we have to take the Queen IV. What we plan on doing is staying in Rock Harbor overnight and then taking the Voyager out of Rock harbor the next morning around the island to Windigo and starting our hike there. While your trip probably can't start at Windigo, The Voyager might be an alternate option to the water taxis as it stops at a few places on its way around the island. See the schedule here:
https://www.isleroyaleboats.com/schedules.html

You also asked about a trip planner spreadsheet in your first post. I don't see anyone answed this and if you haven't found it, this one has been great at planning.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2946

Edit: Sorry SneakyMonkey, I see you directed him toward the spreadsheet already... I missed it.
Browninggold9_72
NewbieCake

pyrowaves wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:22 am I'm doing a trip with friends for the first time the last week in June. With our schedules we have to take the Queen IV. What we plan on doing is staying in Rock Harbor overnight and then taking the Voyager out of Rock harbor the next morning around the island to Windigo and starting our hike there. While your trip probably can't start at Windigo, The Voyager might be an alternate option to the water taxis as it stops at a few places on its way around the island. See the schedule here:
https://www.isleroyaleboats.com/schedules.html

You also asked about a trip planner spreadsheet in your first post. I don't see anyone answed this and if you haven't found it, this one has been great at planning.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2946

Edit: Sorry SneakyMonkey, I see you directed him toward the spreadsheet already... I missed it.
That's the input. We thought about the water taxi,
But we are planning on arriving in rock harbour and starting our hike from there, doing a big loop and ending back in rock harbour. Greatly appreciate all the advice and tips