The must-see things?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Bagelmode
NewbieCake

The must-see things?

Post by Bagelmode »

Hello all, I'm a very experienced backpacker and will be arriving on Isle Royale on the 3rd of August until the 11th of August. My current plan is to hike 114 miles (depending on the mileage source) in that time. Starting at rock harbor, go to wendigo bay, and coming back to rock harbor over the most convoluted route in history. But my current plan doesn't really matter, as I want to make sure I'm seeing all the island has to offer. The real question, is what are the must see-things at Isle Royale? I really like history, so anything from the mining days would be nice, any great little spots with views are a plus too.

Any suggestions?
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: The must-see things?

Post by dcclark »

My suggestions here are pretty east-end-centric, and others can tell you more about what to look for on the west end. But there's plenty to see on the east...

* My absolutely top recommendation for a fellow history buff: Spend at least a few hours at the Minong Mine (just up the hill from McCargoe Cove along the Minong Ridge Trail). You can see artifacts in place, waltz through open adits, examine rock piles, find old roads... it's spectacular. I spent about half of a day there last year and could have stayed longer.
* There are other mine remnants, mostly pits in the ground, all over the place -- along the Scoville Point trail (good day hike from Rock Harbor), along the Rock Harbor trail between Daisy Farm and 3 Mile, Hugginin Cove, and the old horizontal boiler near Island Mine. There are some "diggings" on Ransom hill between Mt. Ojibway and Daisy Farm, but I didn't find much there.
* If you're in Rock Harbor at the right time, take the Edison Fishery/Rock Harbor Lighthouse tour, and/or the Passage Island tour (there's also a lighthouse there). It's worth scheduling an extra day in Rock Harbor for these if you're interested in historic sites on the island.

Besides those, I can't recommend Moskey Basin enough. Best sunrises on the island -- the shelters face directly into the sunrise. Enjoy!
JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by JavaHiker »

For in-depth information about history and culture at Isle Royale check out https://www.nps.gov/isro/learn/historyculture/index.htm. It's a fascinating collection of interactive maps and documented research.

Rainbow Cove is just a short 1/2 mile walk from the Feltmann Lake campsites and offer's some of the best sunsets on the island.
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

There is a wonderful ruin of a locomotive of the trail between island mine and siskiwit, closer to island mine. Look for a side trail heading off to some large mine tailings Hills. Governance those and you will see it
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

In general, if you're covering the island, the trails will bring you past some great views and a variety of terrain and geology. In addition to what the others have said, plan to spend some time at the Ojibway and Feldtman fire towers. Both worth the stop. (The Ishpeming tower is worthy of having lunch under, but let's just say it will become more obvious when you get there.)
Also, while it may seem pedantic, be sure to notice (hard not to) and enjoy the red squirrel. Because it's been isolated so long, Tamiasciurus hudsonicus regalis is a unique subspecies found nowhere else. (That doesn't make them any less annoying, though.)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I hope you just spend time relaxing and enjoying nature. 114 miles in seven days seems for me wouldn't leave me a lot of down time to just post up on a rock and enjoy the quiet.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

The critters. Literally every step of the way, you're in danger of seeing something that doesn't frequent suburban shopping malls. Usually they hear you before you hear them, so periodically stop, look, and listen. Especially at bodies of water---a moose that may have been submerged throughout the duration of your first glance may have broken the surface!

You'll have a splendid time!