First trip advice - staying at RH for 3 nights late Aug

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MooseFan
NewbieCake

First trip advice - staying at RH for 3 nights late Aug

Post by MooseFan »

First trip to IR for 4 of us and will be staying at a housekeeping cabin at Rock Harbor for 3 nights starting Aug 23rd. We will be arriving by Sea Plane about 1:00 pm. I am looking for suggestions on some good day hikes. We are in our early/mid 50’s and are in shape, but haven’t done a lot of rugged hikes. Our top priority is to see Moose – it’s a bucket list thing and will have 2.5 days to see some! One person mentioned seeing a few at Lake Ojibway. Is that a realistic hike to do in a day – there and back to the cabin?
What other suggestions do you have? I welcome any advice you can share!
Thanks in advance!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First trip advice - staying at RH for 3 nights late Aug

Post by Ingo »

Somehow it seems you see moose when you least expect, and you don't in the places folks tell you to look. Kinda like the old saying about catching a butterfly. You have a chance to see one anywhere, including around Rock Harbor and even possibly outside your door. So just be alert, quiet, and watchful when you're out and about.
As for hikes:
1. Scoville Point (must do in my opinion). 4 miles round trip, flat and easy trails. Take the Rock Harbor side out and the Tobin Harbor side back.
2. Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise tour boat. 1 mile up the ridge and back. Great view of the north side and Canada from the ridge. Hidden Lake has a reputation for seeing moose, although I never have there.
3. You can also take the boat to Hidden Lake and hike back about 10 miles if you're up to that. Go on to Mt Franklin if you decide to do that.
4. Suzi's cave is interesting, about 4 miles round trip. Or go on to Three Mile (6+ miles). Or up to Mt Franklin (10ish miles). Again, start on the Rock Harbor trail and return on the Tobin Harbor side, as it's an easier less rocky trail.
5. Lake Ojibway and back is a heck of day hike for most people, especially if you're not used to backcountry trails.
Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Moose come to those who get up early. Look at lakes and swampy areas early in the morning. Of course, we saw two (!!) on the paved trail in Rock Harbor last year, so you never know what will happen.
MooseFan
NewbieCake

Post by MooseFan »

Thank you Ingo and dcclark for the info! I will report back after our trip :-)
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Grandpa »

MooseFan wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:02 pm One person mentioned seeing a few at Lake Ojibway.
I was on the Ranger III this past June when Rolf Peterson was asked to give an update on the wolf-moose situation. He used Lake Ojibway as an example of how moose can affect the vegetation.

He said that a while back, Lake Ojibway had become lush with aquatic vegetation that covered the entire lake. Moose loved it, so it created a veritable moose convention. But after a few years, over-browsing had virtually eliminated all the vegetation. Then the beaver dam failed and drained the lake. It became a mud flat.

He didn't say if the beavers are rebuilding to start the cycle over again. But for now, it sounds like moose watchers may have to go elsewhere. It's a constantly changing landscape.
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!