September Itinerary Advice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

September Itinerary Advice

Post by Tortuga »

Hey folks,

I've got a trip coming up next month and want some feedback on a specific portion of the itinerary. Below is my current plan.

DAY DATE FROM TO

7 13-Sep NORTH DESOR HUGGININ COVE
8 14-Sep HUGGININ COVE WASHINGTON CREEK
9 15-Sep WASHINGTON CREEK SOUTH DESOR
10 16-Sep SOUTH DESOR HATCHET LAKE

My alternative is to skip Hugginin and go straight to Washington Creek/Windigo on Day 7. Then overnight at Island Mine on Day 8 before continuing the rest of the itinerary as planned.

Now I know Island Mine is routinely considered the worst campsite on the island along with East Chickenbone (which will never be on my itineraries after I walked through it last year!). I also know Hugginin is widely praised as one of the nicer ones.However, a stay at Island Mine does break up the trip to South Desor. Based on personal experience, what does this group suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: September Itinerary Advice

Post by Ingo »

I'd keep Huginnin in the plan and and have the alternative as Plan B if you feel you need a couple shorter days at that point. And there's nothing wrong with I.M. so long as there's water. Thought it was a pretty spot on a knoll in the woods.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

I guess thinking about it more, a short day after Hugginin means a long "free" day at Windigo. I was hoping for a shower at the Windigo end of my trip, but I guess the store will be closed by that point. I'm assuming there should be other things to check out, since it's almost a rest day at that point.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Tortuga wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:30 am I guess thinking about it more, a short day after Hugginin means a long "free" day at Windigo. I was hoping for a shower at the Windigo end of my trip, but I guess the store will be closed by that point. I'm assuming there should be other things to check out, since it's almost a rest day at that point.
You may get lucky on the shower. The Greenstone says the store closes 9/9, but the camper cabins are open til 9/15. They'll be working to get things packed and closed up for the season, but if there's still hot water and you smile nice :) , you never know (but don't expect it, of course).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

Ingo wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:55 am
Tortuga wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:30 am I guess thinking about it more, a short day after Hugginin means a long "free" day at Windigo. I was hoping for a shower at the Windigo end of my trip, but I guess the store will be closed by that point. I'm assuming there should be other things to check out, since it's almost a rest day at that point.
You may get lucky on the shower. The Greenstone says the store closes 9/9, but the camper cabins are open til 9/15. They'll be working to get things packed and closed up for the season, but if there's still hot water and you smile nice :) , you never know (but don't expect it, of course).
Fingers crossed! If I could do laundry and shower mid-trip that would be magical.