Info on campsites ?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Fastcat
NewbieCake

Info on campsites ?

Post by Fastcat »

How crowded will the campsites be at Rock Harbor and 3 Mile on the arrival day (Friday) and the day before departure day (Tuesday) ? What happens if they are all occupied when we get there, where do we camp at? We are arriving Aug. 17 on the Ranger III and departing Aug. 22 .
ChicagoMoose
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Info on campsites ?

Post by ChicagoMoose »

No way to really know how crowded it will be in advance.

Personally, I have never seen zero spots available at RH, I am sure it happens though. Not being a holiday weekend and the fact that school will be back in session so no/less scout troops on the island I wouldn't stress. You may have to share a site with someone or use the group sites. If it really came down to zero sites available stop in the Ranger station and I am sure a Ranger will help you figure it out.

How many are in your group?
Fastcat
NewbieCake

Post by Fastcat »

Thanks that helps to know, it's just the 2 of us.
ChicagoMoose
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by ChicagoMoose »

I think I’d feel safe that if it’s just the two of you there will be no problem getting a site on a Tuesday in late August. Don’t stress it!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

You’ll be fine. Don’t stress about the minor details. It’ll work itself out. There’s always a spot or someone willing to let you share a spot.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I have often found all of the site occupied, but full is a relative term. I often hike alone, but share a shelter or camp site with others. I have never needed to leave a campground. I like to get to RH early so I can shower, hit the gift shop, have a beer and a burger, walk the Stoll Trail and have dinner at the restaurant. That also almost guarantees my choice of spots.
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

I'm always early-to-rise, early-to-camp, so I usually get my choice (typically finish my hiking day around noon or earlier). And I have shared tent sites and shelters with people several times during "full" conditions. You'l be fine!