Itinerary advice for first time group

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

HiddenPines
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Itinerary advice for first time group

Post by HiddenPines »

I have done a lot of reading, research and trail mileage calculating (love the google forms spreadsheet!!) and I believe I have our itinerary set. We are a group of 3, two reasonably experienced backpackers who have done parts of the AT, the Pictured Rocks Sections of the NCT, Havasu Falls, etc. Our 3rd hiker has done a few trips including a recent one with some off-trail route finding in Hoosier National Forest. We are looking for a fairly low-mileage trip with some scenic campsites. I would welcome any feedback! Ferry and water taxi are reserved already. Dates are 9/7 - 9/15.

Day 1: Ferry to Rock Harbor, camp
Day 2: Water taxi to Chippewa Harbor, camp
Day 3: CH to Lake Richie, camp
Day 4: LR to Moskey Basin, camp
Day 5: MB to Daisy Farm
Day 6: DF to Lane Cove, camp 2 nights
Day 8: LC to Rock Harbor
Day 9: Ferry back to Houghton

I chose 2 nights at Lane Cove because I have read that it is one of the favorites. Are there places to explore in the area? Would another place be a better choice for 2 nights? I know these are very low mileage days but we were wanting time to relax in camp and hopefully do some exploring. Thanks!
Last edited by HiddenPines on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChicagoMoose
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Itinerary advice for first time group

Post by ChicagoMoose »

Sounds like a nice relaxing trip! I will be overlapping your trip but will be on the other side of the island by then finishing up my 6th trip.

Lane Cove is super nice, I do not recall much being there to explore for a couple days as it is more or less a dead end trail. I have only stayed there once though and it was after a long day so others may have more insight.

Personally, I would skip Lake Richie and head up to McCargoe or even head up on the Greenstone and then drop into Daisy Farm a night and only spend one night at LC.

Just my two cents. Good luck.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

Looks like a relaxing itinerary. Moskey to Lane Cove will be a long day, but lots of fine scenery to be had along the way. If I spent 2 days at LC, I’d opt for a day hike to Lookout Louise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HiddenPines
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by HiddenPines »

ChicagoMoose, I went back and forth on the Lake Richie stop. I think it will depend on weather. If the weather is bad, I thought an inland campsite might be more protected from the wind. Plus, we are undecided whether anyone will be fishing. My understanding is that the inland lakes are better for fishing. Daisy Farm was supposed to part of the itinerary. I thought I proofread my post but clearly not! I fixed it to include that, We will be there 9 days so we can do DF and still have 2 nights at LC. Enjoy your trip! Lets keep our fingers crossed for good weather!

Donk_67, I messed up my original post and we will be stopping at Daisy Farm, not going directly from Moskey to Lane Cove. I fixed the itinerary above. I will definitely look into Lookout Louise.

Thanks for the replies!