Figure 8 hike

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Figure 8 hike

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Ok so with snow on the ground and winter in full swing, I am feeling the call of the island again . I was thinking about when we go again which trails we would like to hit. I am thinking about doing both the Huginnin cove and Feldtmann loops (starting and ending in Windigo). We haven't hiked either of these loops yet, but we have hiked the island twice (see videos in my signature below). If you were to do this hike, which direction would you go? Would you start with Huginnin or Feldtmann? Clockwise or counterclockwise? I am thinking something like 5 nights (1 ea at Hug cove, Island Mine, siskiwit, feldtmann lake, and windigo), but I could be convinced for longer stays. What are your thoughts?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Figure 8 hike

Post by Ingo »

I did the Feldtmann clockwise and that worked for me--steep climbs take it out of me and they're more gradual in that direction, albeit the same elevation up and down. But if you're going from the Feldtmann Loop to Huginnin (which I'd suggest), a day from Island Mine to HC would be easier/shorter than from Feldtmann Lake to HC. So unless you're old, out-of-shape, and hate climbing like me :? , I'd probably suggest:
Feldtmann Lake -> Siskiwit Bay -> Island Mine -> Huginnin Cove
which also avoids passing through the civilization of Windigo in the middle of the trip. Putting HC at the end gives you more options depending on the weather and how the trip's gone--cutting it if you need to, or an easier hike to make the boat the last day.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Ingo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 pm I did the Feldtmann clockwise and that worked for me--steep climbs take it out of me and they're more gradual in that direction, albeit the same elevation up and down. But if you're going from the Feldtmann Loop to Huginnin (which I'd suggest), a day from Island Mine to HC would be easier/shorter than from Feldtmann Lake to HC. So unless you're old, out-of-shape, and hate climbing like me :? , I'd probably suggest:
Feldtmann Lake -> Siskiwit Bay -> Island Mine -> Huginnin Cove
which also avoids passing through the civilization of Windigo in the middle of the trip. Putting HC at the end gives you more options depending on the weather and how the trip's gone--cutting it if you need to, or an easier hike to make the boat the last day.
Great answer. Exactly the reasoning I was looking for. thank you!!
chippy
NewbieCake

Post by chippy »

Did the trip you are describing last June with my husband. We did it in 3 nights: started at Windigo, first night at Siskiwit Bay via the Greenstone, 2nd night at Feltdmann Lake, 3rd night at Huginnin, then back to Windigo in the morning to catch our boat back to MN around noon.

I understand the milage reasonings for stopping at Island Mine, but that campground just seems so disappointing compared to all the awesome ones on the lakes! I would push past Island Mine if it were me, but obviously do what works best for you.

I actually enjoyed passing back through Windigo before heading up to Huginnin- stopped for a break, and a few beers and snacks (that we wouldn't have to carry) before the final few miles up to Huginnin.

Overall I thought this figure 8 trip was a great sampler of many different landscapes that Isle Royale has to offer- the green tunnel of the Greenstone, beach walking along Siskiwit bay, swamp walking, ridge walking, Lake Superior rocky shore walking...it's got it all.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

I have thought the same thing about Island Mine but I am reserving judgement until I see it in person. We could always just pass through if needed. I am not worried about the mileage but I have learned from past trips we like to take our time and smell the roses on the island. We are also trying to see all the campgrounds on the island at some point. Island Mine may offer a different perspective on the island that I haven't seen yet.

It is good to hear a different opinion about making a stop in windigo half way through. I think I am leaning more towards not stopping in "town" to preserve that wilderness solitude feeling that I like, but a few beers and a pizza might convince me otherwise. :wink:
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

I've done both loops and like Ingo's suggestion. Strangely I found the climb from the bay up to Island Mine more difficult than anything on the Minong.

I did Loop in May, it was an awesome experience. If you can, I highly recommend May. The lack of green up, allows for spectacular views.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

Relatively speaking, Island Mine isn’t that bad. When we did the Feldtmann loop, we did it counter clockwise and spent the first night at Island Mine. It reminds me of any State Park campsite. The biggest difference between it and any other campsite is it’s lack of a water vista. After hiking up the Greenstone for 7 miles, Island Mine wasn’t so bad for one night.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

ARRC wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:53 pm I've done both loops and like Ingo's suggestion. Strangely I found the climb from the bay up to Island Mine more difficult than anything on the Minong.

I did Loop in May, it was an awesome experience. If you can, I highly recommend May. The lack of green up, allows for spectacular views.

I am definitely leaning towards an earlier trip this time. I would like to see the island at a different season than august. Just to shake it up! First boat/plane would AWESOME
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

philranger wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:27 pm Relatively speaking, Island Mine isn’t that bad. When we did the Feldtmann loop, we did it counter clockwise and spent the first night at Island Mine. It reminds me of any State Park campsite. The biggest difference between it and any other campsite is it’s lack of a water vista. After hiking up the Greenstone for 7 miles, Island Mine wasn’t so bad for one night.
Yea, I debated island mine a lot last year. We were originally planning an end to end greenstone and ultimately decided to go minong. I remember IM being on my mind as not ideal from a water standpoint. Still we will probably give it a look as we want to stay in all of the camps at least once.
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

In my opinion, May is the best time of year to do the Feldtmann loop. Last year it was so cool to see the views that you wouldn't normally see when all the foliage is on. I was set to do it the year before, after doing the Minong, but after talking with all the hikers coming off the loop, decided to go out to Huginnin instead. Most people didn't enjoy hiking through the miles of thimble berries, even without rain the dew would soak you. After hiking it last year, I was glad I waited and did it in the spring.

I'M now planning on this year's trip, again in May. Trying to knock off the last few trails and campgrounds I haven't been to yet.

Oh! There shouldn't be a problem with water at island mine in the spring. It was pretty open and windy when I stayed there. Think of a oak Grove on top of a hill.

bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Re: discussion above about Island Mine. While it is far from my favorite on the island, it has two wonderful redeeming qualities especially for September hikes. It is in mixed hardwood forest so the leaves change beautifully here. The golds of birch mixed with the reds and oranges of maples and oaks (recall it is on Sugar Mountain......). And, it is one of the few where each campsite has an honest-to-goodness fire ring and campfires are allowed. In fall, when it gets dark early and there is a chill in the air, modest campfires are wonderful!
bighammer
NewbieCake

Post by bighammer »

Just got home today from doing that exact route.

Windigo to Feldman Lake was beautiful, but we were pushing the last half because of approaching thunder. (never turned into anything)

Feldman to Siskiwit was pretty easy after the climb to the tower, but it got hot and still in the afternoon and the trail seemed to go on forever. Quite overgrown too. TP in the privy and picnic tables in the campsites was a nice treat.

Siskiwit to Island MIne was short, but tougher than I thought it would be. The first day rush and the longish 2nd day, wouldn't have been a problem, but we weren't sure about water at IM so I had 6 liters packed. A lot of extra (un-needed, plenty of water) weight and a steady uphill kicked my butt. Beautiful campsites and our fire kept the bugs away until the rain drove us into our tents. It POURED on us, with lots of lightning.

Easy walk down to Windigo. Dried our stuff, and slept in a shelter. Ice cream for my son and Diet Pepsi for me were welcomed treats.

Hiked the longer eastern route to Hugginin Cove. We had heard there was mine shaft that could be entered, but the description we had led us on a handful of dead ends. Campground was empty, we had the whole place to ourselves. Steady rain all night and into mid-morning. Saw a pair of loons and a busy beaver. Hiker we shared the shelter with had seen a wolf there the day before.

Returned to Windigo on the western route. We had heard it was harder, but seemed about the same to us.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Great! Sounds like you had a good trip. Can you post a trip report, or just copy this over to the Trip Report forum?

Interesting that when I hiked the Feldtman loop in '96, the second half of the FL-Sisk Bay trail was the same - shoulder-high overgrown, following a rut with my feet that I couldn't really see, and it went on forever.....
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

bighammer wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:01 pm Just got home today from doing that exact route.

Windigo to Feldman Lake was beautiful, but we were pushing the last half because of approaching thunder. (never turned into anything)

Feldman to Siskiwit was pretty easy after the climb to the tower, but it got hot and still in the afternoon and the trail seemed to go on forever. Quite overgrown too. TP in the privy and picnic tables in the campsites was a nice treat.

Siskiwit to Island MIne was short, but tougher than I thought it would be. The first day rush and the longish 2nd day, wouldn't have been a problem, but we weren't sure about water at IM so I had 6 liters packed. A lot of extra (un-needed, plenty of water) weight and a steady uphill kicked my butt. Beautiful campsites and our fire kept the bugs away until the rain drove us into our tents. It POURED on us, with lots of lightning.

Easy walk down to Windigo. Dried our stuff, and slept in a shelter. Ice cream for my son and Diet Pepsi for me were welcomed treats.

Hiked the longer eastern route to Hugginin Cove. We had heard there was mine shaft that could be entered, but the description we had led us on a handful of dead ends. Campground was empty, we had the whole place to ourselves. Steady rain all night and into mid-morning. Saw a pair of loons and a busy beaver. Hiker we shared the shelter with had seen a wolf there the day before.

Returned to Windigo on the western route. We had heard it was harder, but seemed about the same to us.
awesome! Glad it went well. Any thing you would change about the route?