Feedback on May 27-31 Hike

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mark.howe
NewbieCake

Feedback on May 27-31 Hike

Post by mark.howe »

First, thanks to all who contribute to this forum. It has been a great resource as I plan my first trip to Isle Royale.

Feedback on this plan would be appreciated.

Day 1: Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor, hike to Daisy Farm via Tobin Harbor Trail to see Mt. Franklin/Mt. Ojibway
Day 2: Daisy Farm to West Chickenbone
Day 3: West Chickenbone to Moskey Basin
Day 4: Moskey Basin to Threemile
Day 5: Threemile to Rock Harbor (Scoville Point if there is time), Rock Harbor to Copper Harbor
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Feedback on May 27-31 Hike

Post by Base654 »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. I have been to the island a lot, but I still learn from the folks here. Your plan looks quite comfortable unless "see(ing) Mt. Franklin/Mt. Ojibway" indicates you are going to go up to the Greenstone and back down to Daisy. That would be a good workout, but nothing to worry about if you're in half way decent shape.

I might suggest continuing to McCargoe Cove instead of stopping at Chickenbone, but that is just my opinion of one of my favorite sites. The last couple of miles to McMargoe are pretty easy. Others will say Chickenbone is better because it is a bit smaller and more secluded. I really like watching the sun rise from the McCargoe dock with a cup of tea.

I am guessing you are planning to take the Greenstone out of Daisy and past Lake Ritchie on the way back. I don't like out and back trips. I would also think about taking Tobin harbor out and Rock Harbor back. The Rock harbor trail is rockier and more up and down, but I love the views of the outer islands and lake Superior and think it is well worth it.

When you get back to Three Mile, take stock of your energy level and consider continuing to Rock harbor. I am an early riser and I am usually out of Moskey by 8:00 which puts me at Three mile around noon or 1:00. This will afford you the evening for a shower, beer, burger and tchotchkes. Then you could get up the next morning have a leisurely breakfast and eat lunch at Scoville pointe.

A down day for for injury, weather or just relaxing is a good idea, but your trip has enough places to make a day if needed you don't really need to schedule one. WHEN you come back for a longer trip next year, think about adding one.

Have fun.
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

Base654 has a lot more experience and thought of some things I didn't. The only thing you might consider would be to lengthen your stay if you can fit in the time. I've yet to meet someone that didn't wish they had more time on the island

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I agree that the Mt Franklin and Ojibway route to Daisy Farm right off the boat sounds like a bit much. You might consider saving it for the end from Daisy to Three Mile--you'll have more time and a lighter pack. They're great views to stop and enjoy.

W Chickenbone vs McCargoe is a tough one for me--both are great. FWIW, had a spectacular sunrise with fog on the lake at Chickenbone :). You can decide how you're feeling when you get there--if it's raining or you otherwise need to dry out, then definitely go for a shelter at McCargoe.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
mark.howe
NewbieCake

Post by mark.howe »

This is all great feedback ... thanks so much!

I've thought about Lane Cove on Day 1 (my route above to Daisy IS a big up and down right off the boat). However, it's a long trek from Lane Cove to West Chickenbone or McCargoe, isn't it (13 miles)? I can do it, but I tend to like to keep my mileage to 8 or so leaving time in the afternoon to play and explore around the campsite.

I like the tip from Base about checking my energy level on Day 4 and perhaps heading into Rock Harbor for the last night. I always like options and contingencies.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

Once up and on the Greenstone, the miles go pretty quickly. there isn't as much up and down as will be found on the rest of your trip.

I found a relief map a while ago, lets see if I can post it...
isle-royale-relief-map.jpg
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

THE RELIEF MAP IS AWESOME! I love the nonconformist trench running oblique to the prevailing corduroy from Siskiwit to McCargo. I wonder if there was ever a trail following that trench the the whole way?
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

Love the relief map.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk