Two nights at Moskey or Daisy Farm?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

jennyk
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Two nights at Moskey or Daisy Farm?

Post by jennyk »

I'm trying to figure out whether to spend 2 nights at Moskey or Daisy Farm for a trip this summer. Would either location be more enjoyable for a young kid (4.5 years old) who likes to play in water, look for rocks and other treasures (no worries-they will stay there), climb, etc?
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Two nights at Moskey or Daisy Farm?

Post by dcclark »

Daisy Farm has a nice dock with a fairly protected swimming area, and a beach-ish area your kid could walk in from (if it's warm enough -- probably OK in August and September). There will be lots more people around at Daisy, hanging out at the dock and probably being sociable. There's also a stream to mess around in and lots of trails to wander through the campground. A lot of folks don't like Daisy Farm and will tell you to avoid it, but I think it's a good location for what you want.

Moskey is one of my favorite places in the whole world, but I don't know if it would be as good for kids. It will be quieter and the dock is not as good for swimming. Some of the shelters (#7 in particular) have bedrock in their "front yards" that slopes right into the lake and might make for a fun time, though.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'd second the vote for Daisy, in this case. Moskey is wonderful, of course, but after that first day it's more of a 'set back and relax' camp that might not appeal to the young one. It is, however, the only place I've ever swam with otters. Not intentionally, of course, but they didn't seem to mind coming up to me to check me out.
Daisy has the stream (which kids can play around damming up the sand), a nice dock, a shallow enough entry area, and if the weather is sour, you can head over to the pavilion and not feel too cooped up. It also has a solid, but doable, hike up to the Ojibway Tower.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

+3 on Daisy Farm. While Moskey Basin campground offers a very calm and beautifully serene setting, I think much of it will be lost on the very young. As outlined very well in the above postings, Daisy Farm offers the opportunity for several activities suitable for all ages. A day trip up to the Greenstone Ridge should not be missed, especially if the weather is nice and it is sunny. You might also be fortunate enough to catch a public talk offered by Rolf or Candy Peterson.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

If you're wanting the kids to play in the water in a good, clean, safe place, it's Daisy Farm.

If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of metropolitan Isle Royale, go to Moskey. Not very good beach access or water to play in.
jennyk
NewbieCake

Post by jennyk »

Thank you everyone! Daisy Farm it is.
jennyk
NewbieCake

Post by jennyk »

Tom wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:20 pm I'd second the vote for Daisy, in this case. Moskey is wonderful, of course, but after that first day it's more of a 'set back and relax' camp that might not appeal to the young one. It is, however, the only place I've ever swam with otters. Not intentionally, of course, but they didn't seem to mind coming up to me to check me out.
Daisy has the stream (which kids can play around damming up the sand), a nice dock, a shallow enough entry area, and if the weather is sour, you can head over to the pavilion and not feel too cooped up. It also has a solid, but doable, hike up to the Ojibway Tower.
Swimming with otters would be pretty cool but maybe a bit unnerving!