5 full days of hiking- Rock Harbor to Windigo

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

aaronstephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

5 full days of hiking- Rock Harbor to Windigo

Post by aaronstephen »

Hey everyone, looking for some advice on an upcoming trip I’m looking to book to the island. Last summer I hiked the feldtman loop with my son and it was amazing. I’m looking to do the length of the island the first week of June. I do have quite a bit of hiking/backpacking experience and am looking to do this as a solo hike. My flight into rock harbor should arrive around 2:30pm on Monday and depart out of Windigo on Saturday at 11am. Which route would you recommend along with which sites and why. I’m looking to do a little fishing in the evening or early mornings as well, if possible. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thank you!
aaron
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: 5 full days of hiking- Rock Harbor to Windigo

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Do you plan to do the minong or the greenstone? I was a big fan of the sites along the minong bc they were on Lake Superior.
aaronstephen
NewbieCake

Post by aaronstephen »

The plan is to take the Minong, because I have heard more people preferring what the Minong has to offer in regard to campsites. I'm a little hesitant about that trail as I have heard there are several beaver dams that have wrecked havoc to the trail in some sections. Just looking for as much advice as possible so I know what I can expect going in.
aaron
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

If you'd like to see what the minong is like (esp the beaver dams) check out the video series that my husband and I did on the minong. We wanted to showcase that trail so others knew what to expect. We went rock harbor to windigo and we hit the actual minong on part 5 in the series if you want to skip ahead to that. The beaver dams were tough but not impossible. If you have at least a little experience you'll be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9ZJVgtfgga
aaronstephen
NewbieCake

Post by aaronstephen »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:47 am If you'd like to see what the minong is like (esp the beaver dams) check out the video series that my husband and I did on the minong. We wanted to showcase that trail so others knew what to expect. We went rock harbor to windigo and we hit the actual minong on part 5 in the series if you want to skip ahead to that. The beaver dams were tough but not impossible. If you have at least a little experience you'll be ok.

What time of year were you there?
aaron
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

aaronstephen wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:33 pm
thesneakymonkey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:47 am If you'd like to see what the minong is like (esp the beaver dams) check out the video series that my husband and I did on the minong. We wanted to showcase that trail so others knew what to expect. We went rock harbor to windigo and we hit the actual minong on part 5 in the series if you want to skip ahead to that. The beaver dams were tough but not impossible. If you have at least a little experience you'll be ok.

What time of year were you there?
End of July/Beginning of August
aaronstephen
NewbieCake

Post by aaronstephen »

Thanks for your help.
aaron