Late August plan

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Billy
NewbieCake

Late August plan

Post by Billy »

First off, thanks to everybody and the content on this forum. It's been a fantastic planning resource. This is my first post.

So this is our first time to Isle Royale. I have quite a bit of hiking and camping experience, mostly military but also some lightweight bikepacking. My wife has camped quite a bit, but not much backpacking. We're mid-50s flatlanders from the Midwest. We'll be on the island for a week, starting at RH Lodge for two nights to enjoy some creature comforts before heading out. We'll also do Stoll Trail as a day hike while there. After that, this is what we've planned:

1 - RH to Daisy Farm
2 - Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove (looking for a sunset)
3 - McCargoe Cove to Moskey Basin
4 - Moskey to Three Mile or all the way back to RH, depending on how we feel

We'll close out either camping or lodge at RH. The good news is that we have all week so we can have a zero day or two without any issues. Also, we'll be flying because my wife gets terribly seasick. I'm slightly concerned for my wife's knees on the climbs with a backpack - given that she's a novice, do we have anything to worry about? Any thoughts on the itinerary?
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Late August plan

Post by dcclark »

That's a nice trip, and you'll like it. A few thoughts:

* McCargoe and Moskey are two really fantastic places. I love both of them. They may be busy in late august, so be prepared to not be able to get a shelter (and/or have to share a shelter or campsite). It's part of the island experience.

* You won't get a sunset at McCargoe. The campground is waaaaaay at the end of the long, narrow cove, surrounded by high cliffs. The sun will set almost perpendicular to the cove that time of year, behind the cliffs. You could try Lane Cove for a sunset, but there are other options...

* ... specifically, Moskey is famous for sunrises, and you'll probably be able to see one directly down the bay.

* Climbing "across the grain" of the island (north-south) is where the hardest up-downs are. That will happen on days 2 and 3. Take it easy and don't push too hard, and perhaps take a zero day in between (which would let you spend more time at Moskey or McCargoe). Trekking poles can help with knees a lot too, by taking backpack weight off of them.

Overall, you'll love the island. August is a great time to go to the island. You can enjoy some late-season thimbleberries and blueberries, and the lake will actually be swimmable (or as swimmable as it ever gets) in late August too.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Billy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:47 pm.......- Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove (looking for a sunset)............
Regarding a sunset at McCargoe Cove, no sunset at the campground itself, it's facing the wrong direction. But, if you walk west down the Minong Trail, maybe 1/4 from the campground, you'll come across a rock bluff that is immediately adjacent to the north side of the trail. You can't miss this rock bluff, it's almost like somebody built a wall along the trail. Climb it, maybe 40 feet up. You'll be above the trees. On top, you'll find a spectacular view of the entire north side of the island. Sunset, sunrise, you name it, what a view. One of the hidden treasures you find on the island that virtually nobody knows about.
Billy
NewbieCake

Post by Billy »

treeplanter wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:28 pm
Billy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:47 pm.......- Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove (looking for a sunset)............
One of the hidden treasures you find on the island that virtually nobody knows about.
I think that's what I read somewhere on this site, which is why I was thinking we'd see the sunset at the campsite. Thanks for clarifying, that's now part of the plan!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

treeplanter wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:28 pm
Regarding a sunset at McCargoe Cove, no sunset at the campground itself, it's facing the wrong direction. But, if you walk west down the Minong Trail, maybe 1/4 from the campground, you'll come across a rock bluff that is immediately adjacent to the north side of the trail. You can't miss this rock bluff, it's almost like somebody built a wall along the trail. Climb it, maybe 40 feet up. You'll be above the trees. On top, you'll find a spectacular view of the entire north side of the island. Sunset, sunrise, you name it, what a view. One of the hidden treasures you find on the island that virtually nobody knows about.
Good info, thanks!!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Let's hear it for mid50s flatlanders from the Midwest! Concerning knees and hills
(1) do you use trekking poles? they can spare your joints some wear and tear. As an added bonus, they can also prevent the condition, technically know as sausage fingers, that afflicts some backpackers after their hands have been dangling at their sides all day.
(2) If you belong to a gym with treadmills that can be set at an incline, or live near a high school or college stadium that (unlike a certain stadium in my home town) lets civilians walk up and down its stairs, those can be good ways to give your uphill walking muscles some work. The stadium ploy is probably preferable, because walking DOWNhill is hard too. I've heard that if you're treadmilling, you should avoid grinding away at the very same muscle groups by varying the inclination periodically.
Billy
NewbieCake

Post by Billy »

Yes we're using poles. My wife was hesitant at first but after using them on a short hike at Grand Canyon, we were both sold.
We're planning to do training hikes in our area with some test runs, but hadn't thought about finding a stadium. I'll take a look around to see if any are open to public use.