First Time Trip Plan - Need Feedback/Advice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

willieborwege
NewbieCake

First Time Trip Plan - Need Feedback/Advice

Post by willieborwege »

Hi everyone! A group of 3 friends and myself (4 in total) are planning to do a trip to Isle Royale in late May of this year. We are from Minnesota and because the seaplane operations are not yet going by the time we want to leave, we will have to take Voyageur II to the island. Here is our trip plan:

Day 1: Take Voyageur II to Windigo and arrive there by 10:00 am. Immediately hike from Windigo to South Lake Desor campsite before it gets dark and set up camp there for the night.
Day 2: Hike from South Lake Desor to Hatchet Lake.
Day 3: Hike from Hatchet Lake to McCargoe Cove.
Day 4: Hike from McCargoe Cove to Moskey Basin.
Day 5: Hike from Moskey Basin to Chippewa Harbor.
Day 6: Get picked up from Chippewa Harbor at 9:00 am by Voyageur II and head back to mainland Minnesota.

We would really appreciate any advice that anyone has to give about this trip! Really looking for advice on feasibility of hiking those distances (especially doing Windigo to S Lake Desor starting at 10am), things I should know about selected campsites, recommendations on different campsites, cool things to see along my selected trails, recommendations on things I don't have in the trip plan and are must-see or must-go things on the island, etc.

Could also use any advice from experienced fishermen and women who have been successful in fishing on the island.

Would also love to learn about other just general tips people have for first timers going to Isle Royale.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Re: First Time Trip Plan - Need Feedback/Advice

Post by kolo »

Your itinerary looks like a great trip! You are camping at some of the best places, especially Moskey Basin and Chippewa Harbor. The distances look doable, provided you are in decent backpacking shape.

The first stretch from Windigo to South Lake Desor is a bit of a climb, but a mellow trail (surface). You should have ample daylight to get to South Lake Desor, even if you are not as fast as Torpified :) . The stretch from Todd Harbor to McCargoe might be the most challenging, physically.

I am sure others will weigh in with good advice.

Enjoy your first trip to the island! I would bet that you will be returning on future trips.
willieborwege
NewbieCake

Post by willieborwege »

Thanks for the info Kolo! Also, if anyone wanted to weigh in on tips for going to IR in May, that would be great as well!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I'll be going in May this year -- we might cross paths at Moskey. Based on what May looks like in the Keweenaw and North Shore, pack warm! Expect 50s - 70s during the day, but possibly freezing at night. Especially on your north-side-of-the-island route, I'd expect snow in shady spots and on north sides of ridges. Definitely lots of mud on the trails. Few bugs if any. And, because it's Isle Royale, always expect rain -- at least every 2 or 3 days.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

My one trip the end of May confirms what's been said. Mostly 50s-60s during the day, might have hit 70 once. Nights upper 30s, low 40s. Light persistent rain for the first 3 days. Very muddy trails, a couple flooded--gaiters saved my feet. Expect possibly significant winter deadfall on the Hatchet->McCargoe day--the trail crew may not have gotten to that yet, but will probably have the Greenstone trail cleared by that time.

I'm not very fast, or in great shape, and made Island Mine the first day off the boat, so if you're in decent shape S. Desor should be OK.
If you get to Hatchet on the 2nd day and are doing good, I might push on to Todd Harbor--I think it's a nicer campground and that 4 mile trail is flat and relatively easy.
Be sure to check out the mines about 2 miles before you get to McCargoe. There's a trail post there. Likely will be snow/ice left in the shafts, and there's one you can crawl into.
There's nice views from the ridge behind the Chippewa Harbor campground. Also an old "school house" with interesting artifacts (it wasn't really a school, but has a desk in it). Lake Mason has moose potential.
Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Sounds like a terrific trip! Contriving to overnight at Chippewa Harbor is on my IR todo list.

campsites: I'll second the suggestion that if you're feeling chipper when you get to Hatchet Lake on Day 2, consider carrying on to Todd Harbor. A shorter day to McCargoe will leave you even more time to explore the mine.

May: if it threatens to go below freezing overnight, consider sleeping with your water filter. Freezing could compromise Sawyer- squeeze type filters.
willieborwege
NewbieCake

Post by willieborwege »

Thank you everyone for the great advice! Do you think if I have gaiters and hiking boots the rain/mud issue will be minimized?
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

willieborwege wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 am Thank you everyone for the great advice! Do you think if I have gaiters and hiking boots the rain/mud issue will be minimized?
Those should do it. I usually bring rain pants, but lots of people swear by gaiters. So I suppose that's entirely up to your preferences.