First Time IR; need itinerary help

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

HikerAnn
NewbieCake

First Time IR; need itinerary help

Post by HikerAnn »

First, thanks for any and all advice: we are staying at Rock Harbor for 3 nights and wish to do day hikes.
Our tentative plan is arrival day 1 (QIV July 18 - Thursday); Rent Canoe and paddle to Hidden Lake, hike to Lookout Louise. Hike to Scoville Point.
Day 2 (Friday) RH to Tobin Trail to Mt Franklin to Lane Cove and return. NIGHT Raspberry Island sunset cruise 8:00-sunset
Day 3: (Saturday) Voyager 3 to Daisy Farm Hike to Mt. Ojibway, Mt.Franklin, 3 mile, Suzy Cave, and back to Rock Harbor.
Day 4 (Depart Sunday QIV) Hike Scoville Point ?
Help please! I am more than open to suggestions. We are retired and currently hike around 6-8 miles a day 4-5 days/week. Thanks ever so much.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: First Time IR; need itinerary help

Post by Base654 »

I like the plan to canoe the first day in case you have to rearrange. Although Tobin harbor is usually calm, the weather precludes renting a canoe at times (watch out for the seaplane, it lands there also).

Day two is a bit of a monster day. see the link for a topo to decide:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3833#p25581 You can always decide to turn around at Mt. Franklin.

Day three is a solid day, but not terrible. I have taken that route back from three mile in the past when I needed to burn a little time (and muscle).

Overall, you have a pretty nice plan for a couple of fit retirees. keep in mind that there is a lot of up and down and constant footfall-watching so these miles are not the same a many local hiking trails.

Take the Rock harbor trail for one of your trips. some don't like it as much, but I love the views of the outer islands and Lake Superior.

I suggest getting down to the rock harbor light house and the moose research facility on the Sandy if you can. Tues & Thurs 2:00-6:00 (2018 times) Sandy https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... -tours.htm

July is serious bug season, bring spray, I would even bring a head net. Bring lots of water or a filter, it is dry and warm/hot on the top of the island. Even the flat areas have enough step-skip-wobbles that extra water to wet the mouth is nice.

Have fun
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I agree that Day 2 looks like a bit much--and don't think you'd be missing too much given the rest of your plans.
Also, be prepared for large temp swings--possibly 30 degs difference just on location. I also carry a rain jacket on day hikes of any length regardless of the forecast, esp. on I.R.
Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

that looks like a terrific trip!

Day 1: time and energy permitting, consider adding an out-and-back jaunt along the Greenstone Ridge trail, which makes a T-intersection with the trail from the dock to Lookout Louise about .2 miles short of the lookout. (And if you're staying at the lodge or in the cabins, a half-day canoe rental is included.)

Day 2: it is a big day but (as has been observed) you can exercise judgment about when to turn around! Even if you don't make it all the way to Lane Cove, the trail is pretty interesting. It undulates, and it seems like every trough contains a different stage of beaver landscape impact.
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Thanks ever so much for the help. I agree that day 2 is massive, and I would enjoy other suggestions. I thought of swapping the day one with the lighthouse tour and deleting the massive day 2, but I wonder if it is too much boat ride (QIV for 3 hours and then 4 more hours for the tour). Thoughts? Again, thanks...this is a bucket list trip, and I am so very excited.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Since you're hitting Mt Franklin on Day 3 anyway, I think the tour boat goes to Passage Island on Fridays (Day 2). I found that very fascinating and it's about the only way you can see it unless you have your own boat--and you get a couple mile hike in as well.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Great idea about Passage Island. Is there a way to get to Lane Cove (or if I hike there...a way to return to RH) via Sandy or water taxi? It would allow the massive day to be more do-able? I can't tell you how much this is helping me...thanks
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

There is no dock at the Lane Cove campground, so it is not accessible by any of the potential passenger service boats or ferries. The lack of dock yet also on the Big Lake is also what makes it one of the more desirable campgrounds to hike to. You get the Big Lake yet not usually as crowded as other Lake Superior campgrounds since there are no boaters to share with. It definitely has a more wilderness "feel" to it similar to the inland campgrounds.

It looks like you have quite a full time planned so I don't think you'll have problems keeping busy. On Saturday you can use the MV Sandy to get to Daisy Farm and also get to experience the scheduled Rock Harbor Lighthouse, Edison Fishery, and Wolf-Moose Study Summer Headquarters/(Bangsund Cabin). Just ask the MV Sandy Captain and they will drop you off at Daisy Farm before they head back (at least they offered this back in 2013, maybe check with them to make sure).
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Wow! What a wealth of information! I was tentative posting because I really don't know anything about IR hiking, but everyone has been so very kind and informative. Thanks.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

VoyagerII doesn’t go RH to Daisy on Saturday, does it?
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Bobcat1...you are so very correct! Thanks for the information....maybe MV Sandy?
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Water Taxi. Or swap days around, depending on excursion schedule with the MV Sandy (Passage Island, Sunset Cruise, etc).
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

One more thing - you are staying at the Lodge or cabins, right? There is a 1-night limit in the campground.
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

can I use the MV Sandy on Saturday (the Rock Harbor Lighthouse cruise at 9:00) will they drop us off at Daisy Farm? We will need most of the day to hike. We arrive at noon on Thursday and leaving on QIV on Sunday at 2:45. Or, as you say, perhaps a water taxi.
HikerAnn
NewbieCake

Post by HikerAnn »

Bobcat1: we are staying at the Lodge. I love to hike...camp not so much.