First trip to the island

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JC80
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

First trip to the island

Post by JC80 »

Greetings all. First I would like to say thank you to everyone on here. I've been browsing the forums for a few months and there is a wealth of knowledge here. I will be on the island from May 17 through the 24. Taking the Queen over from Copper harbor. I'm a pretty experienced backpacker and have done cold weather trips before so I'm prepared for the weather. I was just looking for some feed back on my planed itinerary. Here is what I have planned
Daisy Farm
McCargoe Cove
Todd Harbor
Hatchet lake
West Chickenbone
Richie Lake
Three Mile
Is there anything anyone would change? I appreciate any input. Thanks
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: First trip to the island

Post by Tom »

Welcome to the forum! It looks like a solid out and back trip. Note you are allowed to pitch freestanding tents inside shelters, and a few of the camps you'll be visiting can get a little blow that makes the shelters pretty cold that time of year. My only recommendation is that you might pass on Ritchie depending on the weather. It's not a super place to ride out a storm, and Moskey is not that far away... and has a much better sunrise.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

How is your age/health injuries?

You have a nice relaxed pace. remember you don't have to stick to your itinerary, just keep track so you can update you you check out before leaving. I think you are missing out if you are so close to Moskey and don't stay there. Personally I would walk past Hatchet because it is pretty then move on to W Chickenbone. I would skip Ritchie for Moskey and spend two nights at three mile to day hike Mount Franklin and Ojibway or even dash over to Lane Cove and back for lunch. With no pack crossing the ridge twice will be a long day but not to bad.

That being said. you have a nice trip. You really can't go wrong any way you go.
JC80
NewbieCake

Post by JC80 »

Thanks Tom. I had originally wanted to go to Moskey but my buddy thats going with me wanted to do some fishing at Richie. I don't fish. If the weathers not good by that day I can probable talk him into continuing on to Moskey.
Thanks Base654. I'm 39 and in decent shape. I was trying to plan a little more relaxed trip. Last May I did some backpacking in the Porkies and did the Taum Sauk section of the Ozark trail back in October. Both those trips were 10-15 mile days everyday and it just didn't seem like I had much time to relax and enjoy the surrounding that much. I kind of like your suggestion about skipping Hatchet and going to w chickenbone. It would make a longer day but it could give me a few short days if I did Richie, Moskey, then 3 mile and I should still have time to do some day hiking from 3 mile. I was going to try and see Ojibway while hiking from Daisy to McCargoe.
Thanks for the advice guys! Give's me some things to think about before the trip.
JC80
NewbieCake

Post by JC80 »

I've searched and I think the answer is yes but just wanted conformation, do all the sites have pit toilets?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

If fishing is one your friend's goals then don't count on Hatchet Lake. That and Desor do not have game fish. Lake Ritchie should be productive though, certainly for Northern and maybe Perch. Chickenbone too plus maybe Walleye at CB.

All the sites have pit toilets. I always bring some extra emergency toilet paper though. While they are all pretty well supplied and cared for, sometimes it can go missing.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

It seemed like you were going light. no problems there. Last year I spent 10 days going from Rock to Moskey and back. Good reminder on the TP Ed.
JC80
NewbieCake

Post by JC80 »

The only park I've backpacked that had pit toilets was Glacier National Park and they didn't supply an TP. It will be nice not to have to dig any catholes. I think I'm going to skip Hatchet, I'll still take the same route and just stop at Hatchet for lunch but continue on to W Chickenbone. Then do Richie, Moskey, then 3 Mile.

Daisy Farm
McCargoe Cove
Todd Harbor
West Chickenbone
Richie Lake
Moskey
Three Mile
Thanks for all the information guys!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

For your day from Moskey Basin to Three Mile, I suggest you consider the route that takes you up to the Greenstone Ridge via Mt. Ojibway and Mt. Franklin. It less than 1 mile longer (plus the climb and descent) but the ridge there is quite bare and mostly flat. The panoramic scenery is fantastic, especially on a clear day.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013