Todd Harbor/Little Todd Stream

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Todd Harbor/Little Todd Stream

Post by HikerGal »

I am heading to the island tomorrow (YEAH!) and part of my route is heading from Todd Harbor to Little Todd. There is a stream along this route that I have crossed before. 3 times it was a relatively easy rock hop but one time it was a real big challenge to get across. Basically I had to slide along on the log "bridge" on my butt.

I would appreciate any insight anyone has on what this stream (or raging river as I remember it!) might or does look like this time of year. I really really like Little Todd and I would like to make it there, but I will not risk getting more than a little wet to get there.

Thanks for any insight!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Todd Harbor/Little Todd Stream

Post by Tom »

As, yes. The "floaty log bridge."

While it would be nice to get a TR from someone this year (can't wait for you to tell us!) my hunch is that expect more of the 'wet log' crossing than the rock hop. Every time I've crossed it in May or June, that's been the case, so I'll just go with law of averages.
I've heard better luck going upstream than down in terms of folks attempting to walk around it. The kicker is that by the time you get to that bridge, you're so much closer to Little Todd than anything, that maybe just wading it and drying off when you get to camp is the best answer... Such are the trials of the Minong.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Just wade across. You are so close at that point. Worst case you brave the cold and take your shoes off. Dry them once across and put your warm shoes back on and hike the little bit to camp where you can warm up more.
HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by HikerGal »

Thanks all for the responses. I must say the thought of wading in the water is not pleasant, however I agree the option to head back towards Todd Harbor is pretty unappealing too.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

HikerGal wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 pmI must say the thought of wading in the water is not pleasant. . . .
If getting your hiking footwear totally soaked or going barefoot are both unpleasant thoughts then a pair of lightweight camp shoes that are either water proof or that dry out quickly work great here. Crocks seem a popular choice. I have a 45+ year old pair of Minnetonka soft sole, suede moccasins. The "soft" sole has dramatically hardened over the years and they keep going.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Just back from the island. I ran into a hiker on the last day and asked him about this crossing (not my rout this year). He said the water was about knee deep. I would just put on some water shoes and wade across.
leodre
NewbieCake

Post by leodre »

I just got back from hiking the Minong - here's a picture of the stream crossing (going west to east).
tso115
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by tso115 »

Great picture! I'm hiking the Minong in three weeks, and look forward to this crossing!!