Washington Creek first night?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

leodre
NewbieCake

Washington Creek first night?

Post by leodre »

Hello! First trip coming up next week. Very excited.
Me and my hiking buddy are arriving by plane on Saturday morning.
We had originally planned to head towards North Desor right away, but I'm thinking it might be fun to hang out by Washington Creek and hike around before starting our cross-island hike.
We'd then do the Minong (stopping at Little Todd, Todd Harbor, and McCargoe), followed by a night in Moskey Basin.
For our last full day, we're planning to hike from Moskey to Rock Harbor, and hopefully see Scoville Point either that day or the following morning before our 9am ferry.

Open for feedback. Do you think it's a mistake to spend the first night at Washington Creek rather than start on the Minong? If we started on the Minong right away, we'd have time for a night at Lane Cove before Rock Harbor.

Thanks!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: Washington Creek first night?

Post by bobcat »

The first segment of the Minong is a long 12-ish miles. What if your plane flight arrives at 11 am instead of 8 am? You really can’t go wrong with either plan, and you won’t get your permit from the rangers at Windigo until you are already on the ground in Windigo. I would have both plans worked out and then do whichever fits the timing on your first day.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Agree with Bobcat1, you can play your arrival and the weather forecast. Since it sounds like this is your first trip, don't underestimate Isle Royale and the Minong; that first day has a lot of up and downs and I'd want to give myself as much time as possible.
If you stay at WC, you could hike the Hugginin Loop, and maybe up to Grace Creek Overlook on the Feldtman Ridge Trail. That will give you and idea for the island, and if it proves to me more than you thought, you can switch to the Greenstone if you like. (You could always cut over to the Minong at Hatchet, if you wanted some of the trail, and it's easier in that last section.)
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by Chorizo »

The hardest part of that hike from Windigo to N. Desor is the last few miles. I don't know your conditioning but give yourself plenty of time and be ready.
leodre
NewbieCake

Post by leodre »

Thanks so much for the feedback. We'll play the Washington Creek decision by ear. As for the Minong, we are aware of its challenges and will approach with caution. We appreciate the insights of this forum.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Be sure to drop back in, tell us what you ended up doing, and how your trip went!