Minong Trail Conditions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

nicky1406
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Minong Trail Conditions

Post by nicky1406 »

Hey all, soon-to-be first time Isle Royale visitor, here!

I'll be arriving in Windigo via the Voyageur II on Saturday to start my 8-night trip across the island (:D!!). I was wondering if anyone knows (or knows where I can find out about) the current conditions on the Minong trail? Reason being is that I plan to hike from Windigo to N. Desor for night #1, N. Desor to Todd Harbor for night #2, and Todd Harbor to McCargoe Cove for night #3, but I am concerned about water levels/mud/snow/deadfall, etc. on the Minong this early in the season and am trying to decide if I should just take the Greenstone for this first leg of the trip instead.

Based on the feedback and recommendations I've read about in other areas of this forum, I would really prefer to hike the Minong (and avoid S. Desor campsite), but I will take the Greenstone if it's just going to be a death march full of knee-deep mud and water, getting lost and losing a lot of time, and having to routefind/navigate across really rough terrain/endless deadfall.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Nicky
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Minong Trail Conditions

Post by IncaRoads »

Why not ask the Rangers when you arrive on Saturday and make your decision then?

The Minong Ridge Trail from Windigo to Little Todd encompasses some of the toughest trails on Isle Royale. Beaver dams, mud, slippery rocks, endless up and downs, and possible early season deadfalls await you. I typically hike this section later in the season and travel in the opposite direction after my legs have acclimatized and my pack is lighter.

Good luck either way. Enjoy your trip. Be sure to write back and let us know how it went.
nicky1406
NewbieCake

Post by nicky1406 »

IncaRoads wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:26 pm Why not ask the Rangers when you arrive on Saturday and make your decision then?
I was already planning on that, but I'm growing rather excited and impatient and so I figured I would check here to see if anyone has recently returned with any info to share ;)

Typically on backpacking trips, I like to get the hard stuff out of the way at the beginning when my legs are "fresh" and then take it easy after that, but we'll see how that goes. I'll definitely return with updates!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I have the same questions you do! A few days ago someone who just did a lap of the island, including the Minong, posted a bunch of pictures on the public IR FB page, and answered some trail conditions questions in the comments. He claimed that the Minong conditions weren't too swampy, that there was some deadfall that the NPS crews hadn't cleared yet, that the trail in the woods was pretty easy to follow (early season=not much obscuring underbrush), and that up on the ridges navigation took some attention and the kindness of cairns. As for calibrating the report: he'd (ahem) RUN the trail before, and may belong to that genre of rugged outdoorsperson who understates everything but mileages. Still, I found it encouraging.

But even more encouraging would be more testimony!
nicky1406
NewbieCake

Post by nicky1406 »

I'm back! And I'm happy to report that conditions on the Minong were great during my hike across from 5/25 - 5/27.

Beaver crossings were completely manageable (I got through them all without getting wet, with careful foot placement); trail was easy to follow as long as you stayed on the lookout for either the worn path or cairns (sometimes you'd have to look a ways in the distance); not a whole lot of deadfall; and things were pretty dry, for the most part. Also, the weather was fantastic!!

I'll try to get a TR together soon, but just wanted to give an update in this discussion!

Cheers,

Nicky
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

nicky1406 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am I'm back! And I'm happy to report that conditions on the Minong were great during my hike across from 5/25 - 5/27.

Beaver crossings were completely manageable (I got through them all without getting wet, with careful foot placement); trail was easy to follow as long as you stayed on the lookout for either the worn path or cairns (sometimes you'd have to look a ways in the distance); not a whole lot of deadfall; and things were pretty dry, for the most part. Also, the weather was fantastic!!
I was there a few days later, and this captures exactly how it was for me. Alas, it rained HARD Monday night and through Tuesday--I fear things may now be somewhat sloppier.

I'm about to cross the Mackinac bridge, and hoping to answer my own plea for trip reports in a few days!