Tobin Harbor access to Mt Franklin trail?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

bobcat
Bushwacker

Tobin Harbor access to Mt Franklin trail?

Post by bobcat »

Is there any place to land a canoe or kayak up in Tobin Harbor, to access a day hike up Mt. Franklin? It is not clear on my map that there is any way to do this.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Tobin Harbor access to Mt Franklin trail?

Post by Tom »

I'd say you have one of two ways to do it, depending on your wayfinding skills.

The "can't get lost" route is to paddle to the Duncan Bay portage (nearly straight across from the Rock Harbor/Tobin docks) and hike the portage trail up to the Greenstone. That stretch of the Greenstone is very easy on the legs.

The "want to take water as far as I can" route is to paddle all the way up to Tobin Creek. I don't think you'll get lucky in that you probably won't be able to paddle up to the bridge, which will make the trail obvious, but you never know and can always try. Otherwise, I seem to recall that there is a place to put in on the north side of the flowage, where the ridge comes down to the water. Follow the rock ridge/tree line west until you come into the trail. This is not the marked route, however.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Tobin Harbor access to Mt Franklin trail?

Post by Ingo »

I've read conflicting reports on landing at the far end of Tobin. Most say it's not easy, but I remember at least one saying it isn't bad. Haven't tried it myself.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH