1st timer - Intinerary Review help

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Waldo
NewbieCake

1st timer - Intinerary Review help

Post by Waldo »

A group of 6 experienced backpackers looking to make a 2020 trip. We've done several off corridor Grand Canyon trips, Wind River, Big Horns, etc.

We appreciate comments on this itinerary:

Day 1 - Boat from Grand Portage to Rock Harbor. Arrive at 3. Hike to Three Mile. (3.8 miles)
Day 2- Hike to Chicken Bone E (10.8 miles)
Day 3 - Hike to Todd harbor (8.7 miles)
Day 4 - Hike to Lake Desor N (11.2 miles)
Day 5 - Hike to Windigo (12.9 miles) - stay at camper cabin if we get reservation
Day 6 - boat back to Grand Portage

Thanks !
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: 1st timer - Intinerary Review help

Post by dcclark »

East Chickenbone is almost universally agreed to be the worst campground on the island. It's high on a ridge, exposed, and a long up-and-down hike to get water. I highly recommend pushing on to either West Chickenbone (which is lovely) or McCargoe (which is one of the nicest campgrounds, although likely to be busy).

If you're experienced, you can probably make it from Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm on your first day, even starting at 3 pm. That could make it easier to push on to McCargoe on Day 2. It does depend on how much daylight you'll have, which depends on what time of year you're planning to go.
newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by newb2019 »

Make sure to call January 2 to reserve cabin.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I think if I knew what I was doing the first time (an impossible proposition, because I've been 4 times and I still don't know what I'm doing), that's the way I'd have crossed the island!

And to echo dcclark: you're not likely to regret carrying on to McCargo or W Chickenbone on Day 2---which will give you more time to explore the Windigo Mine on your way to Todd Harbor on Day 3. Whichever way you go to extend Day 2, it's only about 2 extra miles. I think I prefer the trail on the E side of Chickenbone Lake, but both lakeside trails are grand.

The 11.2 miles on Day 4 have the reputation of being among the toughest on the island---but given your backgrounds, I'm betting you'll find them pretty groovy!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Some of the best views of the south side of the island happen in the first mile or so southwest of “Chickenbone Junction” on the Greenstone. So, if you turn off the Greenstone at that point, make a side trip up the first big climb after the trail junction and look to the south.