Minong

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

eckersa
NewbieCake

Minong

Post by eckersa »

In the past, I have done the Feldtmann loop, in less than three days, no problems. It was great! I want to try the Minong from McCargo cove back to Windigo. Everything I have been reading states that you need a mimimum of four days. Can it be done in three, if you camp in a backcountry zone? Thoughts? Thanks
bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: Minong

Post by bobcat »

Yes. Just skip Little Todd Harbor. Those are some long days of up and down from rocky outcrops to swamps to rocky outcrops to swamps. But others have done it, and if you are realistic about what you’re getting into, you can make the plan for yourself.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Absolutely it's possible. I'm an unimposing woman in my mid-50s, and I walked the Minong as an overnight trip last year, tacking on the Huginnin loop at the end because it was still so early in the day when I got to the junction. En route I met trail runners who were covering the trail, Washington Harbor to McCargo, in a day. I was carrying about 20 pounds, they (I'm guessing) about 5. And all of us loved our trips. It's a terrifically fun trail, in part for the same reasons it's a more difficult trail than than Greenstone.

There's lots of ways to enjoying backpacking, and not all of them are compatible with covering the Minong in three days. But if you enjoyed the Feldtman loop on the schedule you describe, I'm guessing that your style suits the itinerary you're contemplating. As always, have a backup/bailout plan in place, though!

If you're looking to spend 2 nights on the trail, I agree with Bobcat that (both with respect to distance and with respect to difficulty of terrain/navigation) Todd Harbor is the one to skip. Stop there for lunch, though!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

torpified wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am Absolutely it's possible. I'm an unimposing woman in my mid-50s, and I walked the Minong as an overnight trip last year, tacking on the Huginnin loop at the end because it was still so early in the day when I got to the junction. En route I met trail runners who were covering the trail, Washington Harbor to McCargo, in a day. I was carrying about 20 pounds, they (I'm guessing) about 5. And all of us loved our trips. It's a terrifically fun trail, in part for the same reasons it's a more difficult trail than than Greenstone.

There's lots of ways to enjoying backpacking, and not all of them are compatible with covering the Minong in three days. But if you enjoyed the Feldtman loop on the schedule you describe, I'm guessing that your style suits the itinerary you're contemplating. As always, have a backup/bailout plan in place, though!

If you're looking to spend 2 nights on the trail, I agree with Bobcat that (both with respect to distance and with respect to difficulty of terrain/navigation) Todd Harbor is the one to skip. Stop there for lunch, though!
I've yet to cover the Minong. It seems as if all ll I hear from other sources is how horribly difficult it is and what an issue navigation presents. I also hear people talk about the great overall difficulty of hiking on the island and scratch my head a bit, knowing that's not the case when compared to other places.

It's nice to hear your account.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

hooky wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:36 am
torpified wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 am Absolutely it's possible. I'm an unimposing woman in my mid-50s, and I walked the Minong as an overnight trip last year, tacking on the Huginnin loop at the end because it was still so early in the day when I got to the junction. En route I met trail runners who were covering the trail, Washington Harbor to McCargo, in a day. I was carrying about 20 pounds, they (I'm guessing) about 5. And all of us loved our trips. It's a terrifically fun trail, in part for the same reasons it's a more difficult trail than than Greenstone.

I've yet to cover the Minong. It seems as if all ll I hear from other sources is how horribly difficult it is and what an issue navigation presents. I also hear people talk about the great overall difficulty of hiking on the island and scratch my head a bit, knowing that's not the case when compared to other places.

It's nice to hear your account.
It's all relative, of course, to abilities and previous experience which vary greatly. Do remember the group that was airlifted near N. Desor (severe dehydration to the point of convulsions)--obviously at the other end of the spectrum. eckersa, sounds like you have the experience--the Minong will be more challenging than the Feldtmann, but that sounds like what you're looking for, and will be prepared for.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
eckersa
NewbieCake

Post by eckersa »

Thank you all so much for your replies!