Greenstone Itinerary Feedback

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

WMGreeter
NewbieCake

Greenstone Itinerary Feedback

Post by WMGreeter »

Hello, all!

I'm interested in hiking the GRT this Spring (eastbound) and am considering the following itineraries. I'd love your feedback!

Option 1:
Day 1: Island Mine
Day 2: Hatchet Lake
Day 3: West Chickenbone
Day 4: Lane Cove
Day 5: Lookout Louise out-and-back, then Rock Harbor

Option 2:
Day 1: Island Mine
Day 2: Hatchet Lake
Day 3: West Chickenbone
Day 4: Three Mile
Day 5: Rock Harbor, Stoll Trail and Scoville Point

I'm struggling between hiking the GRT in its entirety so I can see Lookout Louise, or veering off early so that I can see the Stoll Trail/Scoville Point. Which offers better views?

Thanks in advance for your input! 8)

I forgot to add: I feel more than comfortable with the mileage. I have 1,000+ miles on my legs from long section hikes on the Pacific Crest Trail. My question is more about which itinerary offers better views. I’m also open to alternative campsites if you have opinions about that!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Greenstone Itinerary Feedback

Post by Ingo »

Since you'll get the views from Mt Franklin, I don't think Lookout Louise adds a lot--unless you just want to say you did the whole Greenstone. And I think you miss some of the essence of the island if you don't do any of the trails along Rock Harbor. To me the Stoll Trail/Scoville Pt is the most scenic hike on the island.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
WMGreeter
NewbieCake

Post by WMGreeter »

Thank you so much for your feedback, Ingo!!
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Be aware that there is a 1-night limit in Rock Harbor. Lots of people stay at 3-Mile and then hike into Rock Harbor at the crack of dawn. This gives you time in RH area to both hike and enjoy Scoville Point and rent a canoe to go over to Hidden Lake and hike Lookout Louise, ands then catch a Ranger program in the evening or just hang out in Snug Harbor and have a beverage on the deck at the restaurants.
WMGreeter
NewbieCake

Post by WMGreeter »

Thanks Bobcat! Noted 👍
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

It could be that you can have it all! Given your resume, and assuming you're arriving on the Voyageur, you may find that it's no problem to hike to S Desor on Day 1. Then you can (for instance) carry on

Day 2: W Chickenbone
Day 3: Lane Cove
Day 4: 3 mile (via LL)
Day 5: RH (w/Scoville point and all that)

If you do have to choose between LL/the whole GRT and dayhiking to Scoville, I'm in the camp that thinks the Scoville hike is more scenic. (And as Bobcat's already noted, if it's just LL you're curious about, it's possible and fun to both hike to Scoville point, and canoe/hike to LL in a day.)

A great thing about IR is that you're not locked into an itinerary. You can arrive with a folder of plans you've thought through, then activate the one that makes the most sense to you when you're actually on the ground.
WMGreeter
NewbieCake

Post by WMGreeter »

Thanks for that, Torpified! You’re right - it’s so nice to have the flexibility to decide what to do in the moment. Do you have any particular favorite (or least favorite) campsites? Maybe that will determine how far I push each day! :)
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Campsites: I haven't cased them all! Like everyone, I love Moskey (sunrises) and McCargo (a nearby mine and acquatic wildlife ballet performances). I love Lane Cove too---I think the trail there is really fun, and I was lucky enough to experience it in a quiet and peaceful phase. The interior of western side of the island is pretty wooded, which creates the danger* that campsite views are mostly trees. (*Or the bonus, if you really love trees.) I haven't set eyes on Island Mine or S Desor---maybe others can report?---. The Hatchet sites are set back from a lovely lake. I haven't stayed in either WCB and 3Mile, but whenever I walk through, I admire their situations.

Trails: Heading E, the GRT is predominantly steadily graded contemplative forest walking until around S Desor. Then the terrain begins to vary more and open views get more and more frequent. Depending again on your attitude toward trees, that could be a reason either to linger on the west side or to travel expeditiously through it.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

torpified wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:48 am I haven't set eyes on Island Mine or S Desor---maybe others can report?---.
Island Mine is in a section of mixed birch/maple forest, and it is gorgeous in the fall with colors. Plus, campfires are allowed. That being said, there are no open views of anything. You are in a creek valley, which is unique among Isle Royale campgrounds. The trail in and out of IM from the GRT is one of the longer and steeper campground access trails, and has been extremely muddy and slippery when I have used it. I think of IM as utilitarian and I stay there if the spacing fits my plans but not because it is gorgeous. Except in September. The trail junction at the GRT is a great lunch stop unless you just camped at IM, and last time I was there there were logs and stumps to sit on left by a trail clearing crew.

South Desor is on one of the larger and prettier inland lakes, but the campsites are up on a hillside away from the water. The group sites are a different story - one of the group sites is right on a small sandy beach. It's one of those campgrounds that I will go to once I have acquired a packraft, and then Lake Desor will be explorable! There is a campsite for the Minong Ridge Trail on the north side of the lake, but the sites are not visible or accessible from each other. The access trail from the GRT is longer than Hatchet Lake, but angles down off the ridge at an easy gradient.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

On campsites along your route:
- Island Mine: some folks don't seem to care for it, but I had a very pleasant night there all be myself and in the spring so plenty of water. A nice spot in the woods.
- S Desor: no experience
- Hatchet: my memory is jaded by dehydration, a companion with a broken wrist, and 12 hrs of rain :roll: . Pretty steep in and out from from the ridge. Otherwise seems well thought of, if not special.
- W Chickenbone: nice with some campsites right on the lake.
- E Chickenbone: considered the worst campground on the island, although I can't speak from experience. Long ways (1/4 - 1/2 mile) to the lake for water.
- Lane Cove: a favorite of many.
- Three Mile: the two western most shelters are on a rock outcropping with a small dock, a great spot for potentially gorgeous sunrises.

Pushing on to S Desor on Day 1 doesn't seem to be an issue for experienced folks in good shape. And could give more options at the end of the trip. It's nice that you can make the final decision at the trail junctions :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

S. Desor is a nice campground. I can get Island Mine camping at home, so I elected to skip it and push to S. Desor when I came in from Siskiwit a few years ago. S. Desor sites 1,2 & 3 all have direct access to the lake, but like Bobcat1 mentioned, it's downhill and uphill. There may be others that do too, but I know those 3 do.

Trail down to the water from #2 from the bottom

Lake view
WMGreeter
NewbieCake

Post by WMGreeter »

This is SO helpful! I can’t thank you all enough.