Greenstone Trip Advice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

cordialquail
NewbieCake

Greenstone Trip Advice

Post by cordialquail »

All,

Hello! After planning our annual trip to Bayfield this past summer, my friend informed me about the existence of Isle Royale. Taken in by its charm, we have decided to do a 7-day backpacking trip from Windigo to Rock Harbor. While the Minong looks like our preferred route (as far as scenery and proximity to Lake Superior), we recognize our limitations (despite being a couple of 30-year-olds, we've never backpacked before). As such, the Greenstone looks like a nice compromise? We will be on the island in mid-July.

We've been doing a bit of research as far as routes, but given that there are plenty of local experts here, I figured I'd reach out for advice. We aren't looking to speed hike. I'd even prefer a day or two of built-in rest where we can hang out on the shores and just relax. We really just want to hit all of the "spots" that one shouldn't miss on a particular route.

Any suggested routes / campgrounds if one has 7 days on the island? It isn't even necessarily important to go from end to end. We're open to whatever might provide us with the most enjoyment / scenery / etc.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Matt
Last edited by cordialquail on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Greenstone Trip Advice

Post by Kelly »

During what month are you planning to be there?

If I had seven days starting at Windigo, and it was my first time backpacking, I might do the Minong, too. :wink: It won't kill you, but you'll want to be kinder to yourself.

So having spent some time on the island, I'd consider making the Feldtmann Loop your starter plan. Maybe you might spend a couple of days at Siskiwit Bay, since you're not in a hurry. You could also wander over to Malone Bay, which is another good place to spend a couple of days (although you may want to arrange for Voyageur II pickup there to get back to Windigo).

You could also head up to Huginnin Cove for a night or two.

If you're going at the right time, you could rent a canoe at Windigo and paddle out to Beaver Island to spend the night.

If you plan a couple of zero days into your itinerary, you will have the flexibility to make different decisions. Because once you arrive, all you have to do is make sure you show up in time for your transportation off the island!

None of this is to rain on your Greenstone Ridge idea! It's also a good one!
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
cordialquail
NewbieCake

Post by cordialquail »

Thanks! We will be there around July 11-19, give or take a few days. I appreciate the advice! We aren't stuck on the Greenstone, it just seems to be the most talked about. We haven't ruled out the Minong, either. From what I've gathered, I'd like to possibly get over to the Chippewa Harbor campground as it looks quite amazing (though I'm sure many spots along the shore are quite beautiful). I'll look into the Feldtmann loop. Again, thanks!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

There's a lot to choose from, and it's all good! If you do decide to cross the island:

Unless there's a reason to go from Windigo to RH, you might consider traveling in the other direction. That way, when you get to the Minong/Greenstone choice point near west chickenbone, you'll have some information about how you're handling mileages, backpacking routines, etc., and can choose accordingly. For my money, the Minong is more scenic and more challenging in ways that make it more fun. The sticking point is that last day westbound, South Lake Desor to Washington Harbor, is a pretty long haul. (One reason to go west is that this would come at the end when your food bags are light and your legs trail-tested.) The Greenstone's pretty and peaceful, in a contemplative foresty way, with more frequent campsites. Whichever way you go, try to visit, even layover at, McCargo. From there you can explore the Minong mine, dayhike the Minong ridge trail, dayhike around Chickenbone lake, or just hang out on the dock watching the cove goings on.