Little Todd to Huginnin Cove

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

fseitz
NewbieCake

Little Todd to Huginnin Cove

Post by fseitz »

My boyfriend and I are planning a 4 night, 5 day trip in September (our first trip to Isle Royale). We're flying in via seaplane to Rock Harbor and thru hiking to Windigo. Our last leg will be Little Todd to Huginnin Cove, a 19.1 mile stretch in one day. I know this is probably the most challenging portion of the trail system, but what advice do you have? We'd also love to hear your thoughts on best fishing spots along our route.

Here's our itinerary:
10:00AM arrival: Rock Harbor
0: RH-MB
1: MB-MC
2: MC-LT
3: LT-HC
4: HC-WC
2:00PM departure: Windigo

Thanks in advance!
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Little Todd to Huginnin Cove

Post by TopCarrot »

That will be a rough day unless you are pretty experienced.
I have not heard how the beaver dams have held up. 😬
Moskey to hatchet to north Desor to huginnin is more balanced mileage
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
fseitz
NewbieCake

Post by fseitz »

We've never backpacked for this long, but are avid hikers both at low and high-elevations and various terrain. We really want to stay at Little Todd, which is why we've planned it this way. Do you think Moskey to hatchet to north Desor to huginnin still has a lot to offer?
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Moskey is amazing (top 3). And my favorite part of the minong is the southwest half. Anyway you slice it, it is gorgeous, if you can do the miles then go for it. A is for ambitious.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I think you'll have your answer on the first day.
Normally most of us would tell you to "take the Tobin Harbor trail out of Rock Harbor" but I'm going to change it up, and say "Stay on the Rock Harbor trail."
See how you feel after hiking into Moskey Basin. There are portions of that trail that will have you walking up and around the rocks, at an angle, some pretty simple route finding. It's like a mini Minong, except way better maintained. However, the terrain has similarities. Now triple that distance. Could you do it? The RH trail is 11miles to Moskey; you're looking at 19.1, and in places more rugged and the elevation changes much greater. (You go up and down... a lot.)
The good news is that you have options. You just need to be at Windigo in 5 days. Choose your adventure; the Hatchet cut-off is really your go-no go point. I love Moskey. I love McCargoe. The Minong stretch to Todd Harbor is perhaps the easiest. Todd Harbor to Little Todd the most dubious creek crossing (depending on water levels.) Little Todd to North Desor perhaps the slowest. North Desor to either Washington Creek or Huginnin the longest.
That said, the Greenstone in Sept is gorgeous... Especially if you hit Island Mine when the maples are in color. I would never consider it a bad choice.
Spyder1
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Spyder1 »

I could be dead wrong and totally crazy but Little Todd to Huginnin Cove would be a absolute death march I’ve done those trails but in much shorter segments Enjoy the trip with shorter segments that’s why you come back a second third fourth etc time!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Much good advice. I've also previously given Tom's suggestion to take the more difficult of the two trails that exit from Rock Harbor in order to give hardy souls a better first look at what the trail footing can be. Also, know that the last section of your first day from Daisy Farm into Moskey Basin can be brutal on your thighs as there is frequent but small ups and downs.

My first new advice is to suggest that if you arrive at McCargoe Cove feeling in good shape then, as nice as McCargoe Cove campground is, I advise you to continue to Todd Harbor. As mentioned, this section is relatively easy and Todd Harbor is actually my (and several others) favorite CG.

I also suggest you consider foregoing Huginnin Cove and add a stop at North Desor, for the obvious reason of reducing that daily mileage through one of the hardest sections.

I hope you get to make it. If so, it probably means my son will let me out of my house by then.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fseitz
NewbieCake

Post by fseitz »

Thank you all for the great advice and suggestions. We will test our the harder trail on the first day and take it from there. If we don't feel up for it, we will likely pass through McCargoe Cove and keep on our way to Todd Harbor. If it calls for lots of rain while we're there, we will forego Minong and take the Greenstone. Either way, I know we're in for a treat! I'll be sure to give a report when we make it out of there.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Please do report! All the variations under discussion sound like great trips. And if you're finding you're enjoying the mileage and the terrain, Little Todd to Huginnin Cove would be a tremendous day. The most spectacular part of the Minong will carry you past the N Desor junction, then some contemplative forest walking will deliver you to the Huginnin loop, which skirts mossy boulder field while hugging the rocky Lake Superior shore. You'll get to see the Island running on many speeds.