2021 Trip Advice: Feldtmann Loop

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

CJN
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

2021 Trip Advice: Feldtmann Loop

Post by CJN »

I am looking for advice for my 2nd trip to the island.

Last year, 2019, was my 1st trip to IR and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I walked from Rock Harbor to Windigo, via, 3 Mile CG, Mt Franklin, W. Chickenbone, Hatchet Lake, S. Lake Desor, and on into Wash Creek camp.

My main objective was to walk from one end to the other.
I am actually planning 2 trips now, and which one I do first depends on the number of days I can plan to take off.

In this post, I am thinking about coming into Windigo in the AM from MN, and leaving for Feldtmann Lake camp on Day 1.
Day 2: to Siskiwit bay
Day 3, stay at Siskiwit for an off day
Day 4: Then on to Wash Creek
Day 5: Leave back to MN.
4 nights on island.

My objectives for this trip are: take a more leisurley approach to this hike, which looks to be about 30 miles. This walk seems to be over lower terrain with less climbing. My other objective is to see more moose along the way then I did spending time on the Greenstone, last year.
I did see many moose last time in wash Creek.

Questions are:
Is this a good loop for seeing moose?
Is Sisk Bay a nice camp to spend an off day?
Should I consider spending my extra day at Feld Lake, to encounter more moose?
What is Island Mine camp like?
Maybe on day 1, I should go down the Greenstone to Siskiwit Camp, then onto Feld.. Lake for Day 2 and 3, if the moose habitat is better at Feld.. Lake.

I would be going at the end of August, like last year.
Thanks for any information.
Last edited by CJN on Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJN
NewbieCake

Re: 2021 Trip Advice: Feldtmann Loop

Post by CJN »

sorry, this would be a 2021 trip.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Just a reminder, you can edit your posts, in this case to change the title to 2021.

The Feldtman loop is quite popular and it seems most people do it in the counter clockwise direct, but it is still less populated than the northeast end of the Island. Sections of the trail have recently been reported to be somewhat overgrown with low vegetation especially going to Siskiwit so gators are recommended. Most of the southwest end of the Island is different from the rest of the Island in that it is more low lands and more swampy but it does have higher points. There is the Feldtman Ridge, its fire tower and scenic views as well as the Grace Creek overlook on the way to Feldtman Lake.

At the end of August the black flies should be gone and the mosquitoes thinning out but of course that depends on rain and temperatures. I mention this in particular to address the Island Mine question. Island Mine is not very popular with probably a majority of people because its in the middle of the woods with just a small creek for a water source. If the season is dry it can be a very small creek. A smaller but very vocal community of people love Island Mine because it IS in the middle of the woods and they are mostly the older growth hardwood maple that you are familiar with from your first trip. It can be very beautiful during Autumn colors although late August is premature to see color. Another bonus feature is you can have a fire there (at least in 2020... things like this are always subject to change). It's only 1 of 8 CGs allowing fires and the only one on your route.

The moose population has been up all over so if you both travel and "hang out" quietly I'm confident you'll be successful in many places although the increased wolf population should be thinning the moose out a bit. They have been known to walk through the campground at Feldtman while traveling to and from the lake. Washington Creek has always been a "go to" location for moose. If mosquitoes are bad I'd rather be at Siskiwit than Feldtman although Feldtman offers a very short trail to Rainbow cove which is quite large and offers the advantages of being on Lake Superior especially if winds are from the west or south which will offer a cooler and bug free environment. I mention bugs a lot because I hate bugs, I think much more than most people.
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Here's a couple of videos of the loop in the other direction, and earlier at the end of May. Video quality is not great, but will give you an idea of the trails.
"Full" 20 min version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3QuwVxhAXk
Shorter 10 min version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjwwBjPvOME

The trails should be drier in Aug. The trail was totally flooded in places by beavers along Siskiwit Bay and you have to hike the beach--I haven't heard if that's still the case or if they've rebuilt those boardwalks since.
I enjoyed Island Mine--I had it to myself and it was spring, so plenty of water in the creek. A nice spot in the woods, IMO. But not much to do or see.
Siskiwit Bay is great--would have loved to spend another day there. Had it to myself also.
I laid over at Feldtmann Lake and it was great. Spent an afternoon exploring Rainbow Cove and napping on the pebble beach. Lots of moose, including one that browsed right next to my tent in the middle of the night. And was in my campsite when I got up in the morning (in video). They seemed to use the lake as a highway.
I've heard, and can imagine, that the trail can get rather overgrown later in the season, especially between the Feldtmann firetower and Siskiwit Bay. You can get a sense from the video--and imagine the bushes fully leaved out and shoulder high in spots
I did the clockwise direction because the climbs are more gradual and I don't handle steep climbs that well. Although personally I wouldn't want to get off the boat and head straight to Siskiwit. And if you could do it, late May was great (if wet).
Have fun planning and a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
CJN
NewbieCake

Post by CJN »

Thanks for the responses.
I watched the longer video, and enjoyed it.
I was glad to see pictures of the Island Mine CG. They matched many of the descriptions I read on here., Thanks.
I am planning my next 2 trips, but they wont be in the same year. Which one I do first depends on the numbers of days I can take off that year.

For this shorter trip, I think I will start at Windigo and go clockwise to Siskiwit Bay, by passing island Mine. I will probably layover an extra day at Feldtmann Lk, hoping to see some moose. And then back to Windigo.

This would also be a nice trip to take another person, to introduce them to the Island, for the first time.