Venture crew group trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Venture crew group trip

Post by dcclark »

No bear bags -- you'll even be advised against this in your LNT orientation. No bears, and few trees that have appropriate limbs for bear bags. You do need to watch out for other wildlife (foxes, mainly) who will raid anything left sitting out, including boots and food! So, keep food in plastic bags, stored in packs, hidden in tent vestibules or shelters (really!).
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I totally second the comments on the "dangers" from small animals. I once had a squirrel chew through my pack and a nylon sack and a ziplock bag to get to some peanuts. I had left it on a picnic table for the very short amount of time it took to make a trip to the privy after arriving at the campsite. One of the greatest attractions for me to visit The Island the first time was the absence of bears. I've had the fearless squirrels run up my pant leg for no apparent reason (outside for those possibly thinking otherwise).

Another small animal warning is the fox that you will almost always see hanging out at almost every campground. They can seem tame but they are crafty. I had one steal the freeze dried diner bag I was eating when I very briefly looked away. Another word of caution is to make sure your boots and footwear are kept secure (in your tent or shelter) as they will run off with those as well. They are probably attracted to the salt stains but they have been known to also steal non-edible items that are usually shiny like cooking pots.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Critters I have had in my campsite on Isle Royale looking for a handout: Chipmunks (stole a bandana), fox, river otter, mice, squirrels. Best you can do is keep a clean camp and keep your food packed up when you're not actively cooking. I sometimes hang my food, but not very high, to discourage something from chewing up my pack. I've never had anything bother it on Isle Royale, maybe I'm just lucky.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
BerrySlayer
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by BerrySlayer »

Where no bears, I add a cork and funnel to the line which suspends my ultralight, rather chewable, food bag in a plain hang and I've never experienced small critter damage despite the acrobatic attempts. The cork, which I have slit vertically its entire length to nearly its center, and the slippery mid-size polyethylene funnel are very light to carry and, on occasion, the funnel is useful for other applications.

Pack a 40 ft. thin line (paracord is too heavy; consider dyneema LiteOutdoors' 1.7 oz./60 ft.) with a small, cheap aluminum carabiner secured to one end. I find a suitable tree branch, fill a small dry bag with a rock, attach the bag to a carabiner, and toss this rock bag over the branch in the standard way. I take the distal end and thread the line through the funnel so the widest aspect of the funnel will be suspended upside down at least four foot from the food bag. I then place the cork just under the funnel, insert the line into the slit, and wrap the line one or two bights around the vertical aspect of the cork passing through and into the slit each wrap. I can now release the funnel and, held by the cork, it will stay in place when a fat rat tries to stand on it and bobbles about. (If raccoons, which are heavier, I position the funnel farther from the food bag so when they slip the fall is accelerated and their claws cannot catch on the bag.) I secure a second carabiner under the funnel at the free distal end, pull the food bag up toward the branch until the funnel is several foot under the branch, remove and empty the rock bag, and wrap the slack line around the tree until I can clip the carabiner to the taut line. The whole process occupies a few minutes, the challenging part finding a good tree. Reverse the process and you have your food, just exercise care when pulling the line with its distal carabiner over the tree branch.

Same principal they use to keep rats from entering ships via mooring lines -- although the maritime funnels are metal and large. My approach is much, much lighter in weight and occupies smaller volume compared with Ursacks and the like.
Kees
NewbieCake

Post by Kees »

Again thanks all for the help, great forum!

Received an ok on our group permit so here is our trip-
7/02 – Rock Harbor
7/03 – Daisy Farm (game time call if we hike via the fire tower on way to CW)
7/04 – Chickenbone West
7/05 - McCargoe Cove
7/06 - Moskey Basin
7/07 - Three Mile
7/08 - ferry out

hike from CW to McCargoe is a short one, we were looking at one day as kind of a down day and 2.7 miles is pretty short. Wanted to go see the mines if there is anything to see there.

I had Chickenbone east in the original plan, but reading on here, lots said to skip CE and do CW much better camp.

Now have to work the food, 10 people, 3 meals a day, 6 days...

thanks again,
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Kees wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:34 pm Again thanks all for the help, great forum!

Received an ok on our group permit so here is our trip-
7/02 – Rock Harbor
7/03 – Daisy Farm (game time call if we hike via the fire tower on way to CW)
7/04 – Chickenbone West
7/05 - McCargoe Cove
7/06 - Moskey Basin
7/07 - Three Mile
7/08 - ferry out

hike from CW to McCargoe is a short one, we were looking at one day as kind of a down day and 2.7 miles is pretty short. Wanted to go see the mines if there is anything to see there.

I had Chickenbone east in the original plan, but reading on here, lots said to skip CE and do CW much better camp.

Now have to work the food, 10 people, 3 meals a day, 6 days...

thanks again,
West Chickenbone is the preferred campsite, have a great trip! Also, Grey Jays will try for food if left out.
Kees
NewbieCake

Post by Kees »

Getting really excited for the trip, another question... What trail maps are out there? Is the nat geo the go to map? I have not really found anything else online. I want to get a Back up for our group and it is good to have another type sometimes for comparisons.

question 2, is there lockers or any kind of storage or lockers you can rent at RH?

thanks
Scott
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Yes, the National Geographic map is quite good and costs little for the quality you get.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Kees wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:14 pm

question 2, is there lockers or any kind of storage or lockers you can rent at RH?

no lockers, but the RH and Windigo Stores will store packages (provided they don't contain food or fuel) for a fee. The park website says to call the RH lodge for details (eg fees/operating dates and hours) and lists these numbers:

Phone (Summer): (906) 337-4993
Phone (Winter): (866) 644-2003
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

On the issue of critters, I have certainly seen the camp foxes sneaking around, but i never had any issues with any of the little thieves in my many trips. I always take simple precautions and have never had a need to hang anything. It is the one place where i store food in my tent (try explaining that inconsistency to a bunch of Boy Scouts!). The biggest risk for ruining a trip is to lose a boot, so i always tie my boots together around one of the tent poles. Can’t hurt!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Kees wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:14 pm Getting really excited for the trip, another question... What trail maps are out there? Is the nat geo the go to map? I have not really found anything else online. I want to get a Back up for our group and it is good to have another type sometimes for comparisons.
The Nat Geo map is the standard. There is also this alternative that is smaller and lighter with the whole island on one side, and more than adequate for most trips:
https://www.irkpa.org/product/0750-usgs ... ale-map/84
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Ingo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:02 pm
Kees wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:14 pm Getting really excited for the trip, another question... What trail maps are out there? Is the nat geo the go to map? I have not really found anything else online. I want to get a Back up for our group and it is good to have another type sometimes for comparisons.
The Nat Geo map is the standard. There is also this alternative that is smaller and lighter with the whole island on one side, and more than adequate for most trips:
https://www.irkpa.org/product/0750-usgs ... ale-map/84
In case you're unaware, the USGS Quad maps can also be downloaded for free. You could mark them up from the Nat Geo mao or the one in Ingo's link and give one to each scout.