First time Trip planning

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

hammb
NewbieCake

First time Trip planning

Post by hammb »

First of all let me thank everyone that is making this community. Web forums seem to be a dying trend, with FB groups and others, but there is still something special to me about this type of communication platform. No better way to have quality online discourse focused on specific topics! Glad I stumbled across this forum!

I'm posting here because it appears that it's the place for helping people plan their trip itineraries, etc.

Myself, and 2 buddies, are making our first ever trip to the Island this July. Being the one in charge of logistics I wanted to make sure to get ferry passage booked ASAP, so studying the ferry schedules and our preference what we wanted to do I have already passage. We are taking the Isle Royale Queen from Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor on 7/24, Taking the Voyageur II from Rock Harbor to Windigo on 7/25, then hiking from Windigo to Rock Harbor to take the Isle Royale Queen back on 7/30.

This basically gives us 5 full days to get from Windigo to RH. We are not experienced backpackers, although we are experienced hikers, including hiking in places like the White Mts, the Smokies, etc. We all fully intend to put some mileage in while wearing packs (and probably at least one overnight stay to test gear) prior to our trip.

My thoughts were that we would almost certainly spend most of our time on the Greenstone. The Minong is probably not wise with our timeline and experience level. At this point we haven't really done any planning with regard to wear to stay (which campgrounds, etc). Obviously, we're interested in the same things that everybody coming to the island would be: good views, close to water, etc. I'm sure that folks on this forum have made this journey or similar and can hopefully give some good pointers on which spots to avoid, which might be worth going a bit of our way for, etc.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: First time Trip planning

Post by Bobcat1 »

Greenstone would be a good choice, and with five full days to hike you have time for a few detours. You could leave the Greenstone and hike via Moskey Basin. Or, you could add a side trip to McCargo Cove. You will have time in Rock Harbor the day you arrive, to dayhike Scoville Point. And, you will have time your last day to hike in from Daisy Farm or 3-Mile, and maybe even get a shower before the Queen leaves.

The Minong was closed last year and they haven’t announced about this year, to reduce the burden on SAR and trail maintenance, so I wouldn’t count on that.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

The forums are a bit quieter than facebook, but you'll get more quality responses, and avoid 40 identical copies of the same two-word response. :)

I second what Bobcat said. I like the Moskey basin sidetrip, because Moskey is one of the best campgrounds on the island. But then I would recommend jumping back up on to the Greenstone at Daisy Farm. Many people agree that the east end of the Greenstone has more views than the west end, and this trip will take you past Mt. Ojibway (and its fire tower) and Mt. Franklin (with great north views). This adds 2 miles compared to the Rock Harbor trail, but it's well worth the views and experience.

Have fun, and don't forget that you'll be back -- so anything you miss the first time, you can see later!
hammb
NewbieCake

Post by hammb »

Thanks for a couple of good quick thoughts, guys. I echo dccalrk's comments compared to FB. I'm sure there is far less traffic here than any FB groups, but at the same time this is a medium that lends itself to thorough thought out responses. I'm on FB, but I just find these old school forums a better source of real info most of the time (yeah, I'm in IT, but at 40, I'm old!).

Bobcat, to your point, you touched on another part of the trip that I had thought about a little. We'll obviously be arriving that Saturday afternoon on the Island in RH, but won't be taking the Voyageur out until the following AM. My thought was we'd stay at RH campground (fair, yes?) that first night on the island, but definitely want to do some exploring around the area. My fear with that campground was reading that people say you should try to get a spot shortly after arrival since it's usually fairly busy. Is it considered Kosher to hoof it there right after arrival, and set up camp, and then explore? Is it SAFE to leave your gear in the camp? I'm a car camper with the family, and I just generally trust outdoors folks to leave your stuff alone, but I don't want to breach some etiquette either.
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

Yes and yes to your questions:

1. Get a site right away after completing the LNT orientation and submitting your itinerary. There is an upside though: Since you'll be arriving on the Queen, there will likely be campers in the campground who are departing on the Queen that same day, and therefore opening up their spots. (The Queen typically arrives in the late morning unless delayed, waits about 3 hours, and then returns to the mainland with passengers.)

2. The only danger to your gear is foxes and squirrels. Keep everything double-bagged and hidden in your tent vestibule (seriously, they'll even tell you this at your orientation). Everyone else is OK! I've heard of paddlers stashing gear at a campground, or just leaving their boat tied to a tree, for days at a time with no problems. People look out for each other pretty well on the island.

Don't miss the ranger presentation that evening of your arrival (it will almost certainly happen). They're always interesting, even the ones you might not think would be good. Most entertaining ranger program I ever saw was about how the park handles sewage, water, and electricity.

(Sorry, stepping on Bobcat here... but I'm grading today, and anything is better than grading. So here I am on the forums!)
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Oh, and, this is kind of a big deal. The VoyageurII ferry operates on CENTRAL time because it's based in Minnesota. So pay particular attention to what time that ferry is actually leaving in the morning! The rest of your ferry sailings will all be in Eastern time, as are the ranger talks schedule and anything else that is actually timed during your visit. Enjoy that "three-hour tour" on the ferry, you will get a scenic view of the south shore of the island including a couple lighthouses and possible stops at Chippewa Harbor and Malone Bay if there is ferry traffic for those points on that day. And, keep an eye on the highest ridge all the way along - that's where you will be hiking back to Rock Harbor!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
hammb
NewbieCake

Post by hammb »

Bobcat, HA!

One of the buddies that is going with me lives in the Chicago burbs. I have already put him in charge of remembering to help us with the Central time thing since that middle ferry ride is on Central time! It makes for a pretty early departure for us Eastern Time Zone folks.

I also notice that your location says Athens, OH. I'm in Waterville, outside Toledo. I'm a BG grad, so we play OU in all the sports. Love Athens, and all of the surrounding areas! Wife and I try to get a fall getaway down there every year to a cabin for some hiking (she's not a big hiker, but humors me!) and relaxation in the Cabins. Also, Jackie O's is well worth the stop :)
dcclark
May actually live on IR

Post by dcclark »

If you just pretend everything is on Eastern time, you will (at worst) be 1 hour early for your ride on the Voyageur. That's how I've always worked, at least!
hammb
NewbieCake

Post by hammb »

dcclark wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:37 pm If you just pretend everything is on Eastern time, you will (at worst) be 1 hour early for your ride on the Voyageur. That's how I've always worked, at least!
See, to show just how awful I tend to be with that timezone math, I had it in my head we'd be an hour late! But you are correct, obviously...they're behind us in time. D'oh...
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

one more thought about the first afternoon in RH: you can't do better than the trail to Scoville point. But if you wanted some variety in your modes of locomotion, renting canoes/kayaks and exploring Tobin Harbor is a cool option.

Your trip sounds like terrific introduction to the island! Don't forget to file a trip report so that the rest of us can experience it vicariously!
hammb
NewbieCake

Post by hammb »

Just wanted to followup on this as we are starting to get VERY close to our trip (we'll be on the island in 2 weeks). I believe we have settled on the following itinerary:

7/24 Arrive at Rock Harbor, get campsite at RH campground, hike Scoville point WITHOUT packs, and grab evening meal at the lodge
7/25 Voyageur to Windigo, hike to Island Mine Campground
7/26 Island Mine to Hatchet Lake
7/27 Hatchet Lake to West Chickenbone
7/28 West Chicknbone to Moskey Basin
7/29 Moskey Basin to 3 Mile
7/30 3Mile to Rock Harbor, grab some showers and probably some snacks before taking the Queen home.