Aug 2021 First timers

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

elkriverrats
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Aug 2021 First timers

Post by elkriverrats »

First post, and will be a new visitor to IP in Aug. Want to shout out a big thanks to all of you who moderate this amazing forum and to those who contribute such great info! Looking forward to any feedback on our plans.
Will be travelling to the island in Aug with a friend to backpack for a week. We are very excited for this trip!
A bit about us...Both of us are experienced backpackers and frequent the Appalachian Trail (between Shenandoah and NJ) as well as some 30-50 mile trips on some of PA's other long trails. Our trip to IR will be our longest to date (by two days and 15ish miles overall). We are used to 10 mi days and plan to up that to around 12 mi this spring to get ready for our trip.
I am curious to see feedback on our proposed route. We haven't locked it all in yet, but I think we are mostly there...

Arrive Sunday in Windigo (by seaplane, booked) plan to kick around for the day. We arrive early, as of now, we hope to grab a shelter for the night and explore. Not ruling out changing our plan to start out today.
Windigo to Feldtmann
Feldtmann to Siskitwit
Siskitwit to SLD
SLD to Todd Harbor (if open)
TH to McCargoe - from here on we are up in the air on where to head next, but we could do...
McCargoe to Moskey
Moskey to 3 Mi
Monday 3 Mi to RH
Mon/Tue @ RH Lodge (booked). We hope to catch a boat tour, possibly rent kayaks. We also hope to eat a lot of food haha.
Wed morning depart via seaplane (booked)

From McCargoe on, have we chosen wisely?
Rock Harbor Trail or Greenstone?
Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Aug 2021 First timers

Post by Ingo »

Looks like you have it down pretty well :) .
The Minong trail was open this year from Todd Harbor to McCargoe (closed from Todd to the west), so you should be good there.
Do do Moskey.
Do try to get up to Mt Franklin, the best ridge view on the island. If you're up to it, head for Mt Objibway from Daisy Farm, then back down to 3 Mile from Mt Franklin. Or you could go straight to 3 Mile, grab your spot, and hike up and back w/o packs. You'll know what you're good for by the time you get there.
Do the hike out to Scoville Pt while in R.H. Most scenic 4 mile hike on the island and easy trail--flat all the way.
I found the Passage Island tour fascinating (Monday afternoon)--I love lonely places on lonely rocks. Otherwise, the fishery/lighthouse tour on Tues would be the one to do. Great history and get to see things you miss from the trails.
Enjoy! (you will)
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
elkriverrats
NewbieCake

Post by elkriverrats »

I'm happy I was wrong about Todd Harbor! That was my #1 pick for the trip:)

Thanks for the tip on Mt Franklin - if we are too tired to get to 3 Mi and Mt Franklin on the same day, we could always get a spot at Daisy Farm instead. Any drawback to DF over 3 Mi? That will be Sunday, I thought it might be busier than 3 Mi...

We also like the lonely places and want to take in any history and info we can!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

elkriverrats wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:05 pm Thanks for the tip on Mt Franklin - if we are too tired to get to 3 Mi and Mt Franklin on the same day, we could always get a spot at Daisy Farm instead. Any drawback to DF over 3 Mi? That will be Sunday, I thought it might be busier than 3 Mi...
A lot of folks avoid DF because it's the largest campground on the island. But I've stayed a couple of times and it's really quite nice, although, yes, more folks around, esp. if you hang out on the dock. If you stay there, check out the shoreline shelters first--the ones at the far end (to the east) are quite quiet. At 3 mile, I like the 1st two you hit (west end), on a rock with a small dock--those 2 are closer together, but away from the rest.
At all CGs on Rock Harbor (Moskey, DF, 3 Mile) do get up for the sunrise. They can be incredible!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

elkriverrats wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:05 pm
We also like the lonely places and want to take in any history and info we can!
then be sure to check out the Minong Mine (near McCargo), the minelet whose name I've forgotten (near Todd Harbor), and the "locomotive" (near Island mine)!

If I'd plotted my first trip knowing what I know now, the scheme you're envisioning is exactly what I'd have in mind.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Also, en route from McCargoe to Moskey, if you're up for it (and by then you will know), drop your packs at Chickenbone junction (where you cross the Greenstone Ridge) and head west for about a mile or so, for a bit of a climb rewarded by some of the best views on the island of the south/southwest stuff. You'll see the central part of the island that you can't from the other great viewpoints (like Feldtman tower, Mt. Ojibway, Mt. Franklin).

I love your routing! Especially since you will have several days to explore around Rock Harbor. Here's a list of things I have enjoyed: MV Sandy excursion to Passage Island. Kayak or canoe exploration of Tobin Harbor - hint - go all the way to Merritt Lane campsite, for a great vista. On the way back, check out Scoville Point from the water and poke around the south side of Tobin Harbor. Nature hike at Raspberry Island (might need water taxi or rent a small boat). Oh, by the way, if the wind is up, they will not rent small craft even in Tobin Harbor. So, if the water's calm, rent your boat that day instead of hiking or exploring on foot! Possible exception would be if that's the day of the Passage Island excursion - I would do that if you can.

I lucked into an afternoon ranger walk of the Snug Harbor (immediate Rock Harbor "town") area, where they pointed out lots of interesting and historic things I would not have found on my own - don't miss the CCC memorial and the Americas dock. I always try to catch the evening ranger programs when I'm in RH or Windigo. The Scoville Point trail will be a fitting way to cap off your trip!
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
elkriverrats
NewbieCake

Post by elkriverrats »

Ingo - thanks for the campsite tips! I hope we are able to score some great sites.

Torpified - we do plan to check out the mines. Will have to research the "locomotive", I'm sure we will be interested. Thank you!

Bobcat1 - Appreciate the tip on the view. We had concerns about missing views from the Greenstone, but in the end decided we prefer to check out the coast and hopefully, less populated trails.
I feel like we are going to be overwhelmed with things to do in RH, we want to do everything haha.

Thanks everyone for this info. So grateful to have input from experienced travelers and I'm thrilled you have positive feeback on the route! Can't wait to get there.
glitch99
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by glitch99 »

When in August are you going? We’ve got that exact route planned all the way to MC starting the 15th. From MC I’m planning to head directly to 3 mile followed by the short hike to RH and maybe an unladen trip out to Scoville Point for our last full day. Should be a great trip thanks to all the advice I received here!
84 WC-FL-SB-DS-HL-DF-RH
21 Win-FL-SB-DS-TH-MC-LC-RH
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

elkriverrats wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:23 pm We hope to catch a boat tour, possibly rent kayaks.
I was hoping to catch a boat tour or two myself--when I called park headquarters recently, I was told that the concessionaire wouldn't be offering boat tours this summer due to being short-staffed.

Maybe something will have changed by then and you will have good luck.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I like your plan a lot. My only suggestion is to consider a layover day somewhere. It will give you a lot of flexibility in the event of bad weather, sore feet or just a desire to relax.
elkriverrats
NewbieCake

Post by elkriverrats »

Glitch99 - We will be leaving when you are arriving. Hope your trip is great!

Kelly - thanks for the update on the boats. Maybe things will change...if not, I'm sure we will be able to find something to entertain us.

JerryB - thanks, we are using our plan as a best case scenario. If we have to change it up on the fly we have thought about some options.