Goshawks nesting on the Greenstone

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Goshawks nesting on the Greenstone

Post by johnhens »

A pair of Goshawks are nesting on the Greenstone. Some may remember the west end of the Minong being closed a few years ago due to a nesting pair of Goshawks. From the NPS:
Nesting Goshawks Between Hatchet Lake Trail and Mount Siskiwit on Greenstone Ridge Trail
Goshawks may swoop and dive as hikers pass through. Wear a hat or hold a small branch over your head to provide protection. Move quickly, yet safely through this section of trail to protect yourself and minimize nest disturbance.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Goshawks nesting on the Greenstone

Post by thesneakymonkey »

The nesting period for Goshawks is quite a long time too so plan on them being there if you travel this route. haha. Silly birds are super aggressive at protecting their nests.
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

I met a guy last week in Rock Harbor who had been attacked by one of the nesting goshawks—face scratched up a bit.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I remember Rafiki having a terrible time with them on the Minong several (many?) years ago. I think it was him who put his hat on a stick so they weren't right there in his face.