4 night trip, need advice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

WalkingCrow
NewbieCake

4 night trip, need advice

Post by WalkingCrow »

hello IR forums! What a great source of information that is building here, I am so glad I found this site.

I'm planning my first trip to Isle Royal. I'll have 4 nights on the island and I am trying to decide how to spend it. I'm doing a solo hike, and I hope to get the expert's take on what my itinerary might be.

If you had 4 nights to spend on the island as a first timer what would the trip be? Would you do a loop or would you go for Windigo to Rock Harbor? I plan on taking the sea plane in order to maximize my time, but I am open to all ideas.

From what I read on this site, the west side is more secluded (which is what I want), and that the Feltdmann trail is something to be experienced so that really makes me second guess doing a through hike on greenstone (is that even possible in 4 nights??).

Some background, I grew up in Michigan, but now live in NYC. I'm 30 and think I am in moderate shape via riding my bike to work every day and doing some light hiking as my weekends afford. I did pictured rocks last year in 3 nights and REALLY enjoyed it, so I'm geeked about experiencing Isle Royal. I don't really see myself sitting around camp and reading for a day, I need to stay busy, but I could see myself trying to fishing with a line and a hook.

thanks in advance,

.walkingcrow
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: 4 night trip, need advice

Post by johnhens »

I assume youa re talkng about the Lakeshore Trail in PIRO?
If so, you will be fine on IR. The Feldtmann Loop is an awesome hike, the ridge offers great views, good fishing at Feldtmann, Siskiwit Bay is nice. You could do that in 3 days with enough time for side hikes. You could get back to Windigo and hike the Hugginin Loop as a day hike. Everyone has their own style and approach to hiking, don't be in too much of a hurry, IR is a beautiful place. The Sunset at Rainbow Cove is not to be missed!!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

WC,

You can easily do a Greenstone through hike Windigo - Rock Harbor in 4 nights if you arrive on an early plane and leave on a late one.

Arrive Windigo - hike to South Desor (night 1)
Hatchet Lake (night 2)
West Chickenbone (night 3)
Daisy Farm (night 4)
Rock Harbor and leave

None of these sections is particularly grueling, so you should have plenty of sightseeing time despite hiking every day.

I advise (as I always do :wink: ) that you cut over to the Tobin Harbor Trail at Threemile on your way into Rock Harbor; very slightly out of the way but much better walking.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I would (first) take time to smell the roses so to speak. Rather than trying to do it all the first time, give yourself a little less distance and a little more view. While I'm not a big fan of Island Mine, here is what I would do.

Day 1: Windigo to Island Mine. It is a relatively easy hike and gives you a chance to get your "sea legs."
Day 2: Island Mine to Siskiwit Bay. Not a long hike but SB is beautiful. You might even try bushwhacking over to Halloran Lake for some fishing.
Day 3: Siskiwit to Feldman Lake. The first three miles is flat and boring, so it is nice to get that out of the way. Then the rest of the way has great views. Also, when you do the last section down to the campground, you will really appreciate not having to make the climb out of Feldman to the ridge.
Day 4: Hike into Windigo.

That's my 2 cents.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I agree with the comments of the previous posts. The Feldtmann Loop was my favorite hike so far. We started at Windigo and hiked counter-clockwise. First night was spent at Feldtmann Lake. We caught 13 pike there from the shore in about 2 hours. The next day we did a quick trip out to Rainbow Cove -- gorgeous place. Saw several moose in that area. Second night we spent at Siskiwit Bay. It rained hard all day the following day so we decided to stay put instead of going to Island Mine. The next day we hiked out to Senter Point and checked out the powder house at the point before heading up to Island Mine where we stopped for lunch. Personally, I didn't think Island Mine had much to offer and was glad we didn't end up there overnight. We then continued on to Washington Creek where we stayed for the night before leaving the following morning.

From what I remember, Windigo to Feldtmann Lake was mostly level and easy-going. Feldtmann Lake to Siskiwit Bay was easy to moderate. From Siskiwit to Island Mine there were a lot of small ankle-twisting rocks along the early portions of the trail and then a bit of uphill hiking to Island Mine. From Island Mine to Windigo was pretty much level or downhill. Like I said, my favorite hiking route so far.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Welcome to the forums, WalkingCrow! Glad you found us.

There isn't a "bad hike" on Isle Royale, and with four nights on the island, you'll really have enough time to experience a good part of the island.

I'm going to start by recommending the Feldtmann loop (going either direction), because it's a moderate trail with absolutely beautiful views and campsites on it. Lake Feldtmann and Siskiwit Bay are two of my favorite campsites on the island. Great fishing in Lake Feldtmann, too. The hike along the Feldtmann ridge is pretty fun and beautiful. Here's some pictures from our last trip on the Feldtmann (I've done it twice): http://picasaweb.google.com/fonixmunkee ... leJune2007#

My next recommendation would be doing the Indian Portage trail and splitting that up however you'd like, as long as you get to do West Chickenbone and Chippewa Harbor. Two more incredible places on the island.

Let us know what you decide!
rxgac
NewbieCake

Post by rxgac »

question concerning the Feldtmann loop. is Island Mine a viable campground or should we skip it and go on Hugininin Cove. i've seen some posts and read other opinions that make it sound like the least or one of the least desireable campsites. tia
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I've heard mixed review about it this year while I was on the trail. People I talked to liked it. Kat, my daughter, said it looked OK when she was getting water (I stayed at the junction).

I just have bad memories there. It's where my wife got stung by something under the skree guard of her boot. The reaction was so bad, we had to have her boat lifted from Sidkiwit to Windigo the following day. That was in '81 and she hasn't been backpacking since!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

We stayed at Island Mine last year. There was only one other camper in the campsite with us that night. If this had been a State park, you would say it was OK. When you compare IM to other campsites with their panoramic views and waterfront locales, IM can't compare.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Skip Island Mine. The only thing it's viable for is staying there if you can't get to Windigo. There's barely any water there (it's a little damned-up creek that tastes like dirt and does a number on your filter). There's no view, and the campsites--as Philranger said--are about on par with that of a poor State park. Skip it.
DaveH
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by DaveH »

On my first trip to Isle Royale, I did the Windigo to Rock Harbor trip in 4 nights. I stayed at South Desor, Hatchet Lake, West Chickenbone, and Daisy Farm. I got up very early on the last day and got to Rock Harbor around 9AM and left on the seaplane around 11. On my most recent trip to the island, we did the Feldtmann loop in 4 nights. We stayed at Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Island Mine, and Washington Creek. Both trips had nice scenery, but I liked the Windigo to Rock Harbor trip better than the Feldtmann trip. I saw less people on the Windigo to Rock harbor trip and liked the campsites and views better. As far as Island Mine campground goes, I liked it, we had it to ourselves and it was nice to have a campfire, the water supply or quality wasn't an issue for us.
mihiker
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by mihiker »

I'm in agreement with all that has been said about Island Mine.
I spent a night there in 2006.
It is in essence only a place to pitch your tent and spend the night.
No view, no lake, little water.
It is however, quiet and uncrowded. I also remember that the privy was solid and relatively "un-scented."
sgerbs
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by sgerbs »

The one thing Island Mine has that many sites do not is firepits. You are allowed to have a fire there, and many of the other campsites you are not. Is that worth it to you?
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
WalkingCrow
NewbieCake

Post by WalkingCrow »

Wow, thanks for the awesome replies!

I was able to escape this weekend up to the Adirondacks to break in some boots for my IR trip (also bought the Soloist Cookset (not impressed, but it is light) ), so sorry for the late reply.

I'll catch up with the everyone tomorrow but wanted to thank everyone so far. I have lots of questions... but a bit whipped right now.

I also think a 5 night is an option now. So now I am really curious if I can do Feldtmann + make it out to Rock Harbor. Or perhaps someone has thoughts about Minong?

cheers,

.walkingcrow

p.s. @johnhens - yes the lakeshore trail at pictured rocks.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

If I had 4-5 nights, I would definitely do the Minong, from McCargo Cove to Windigo. I would also consider a side trip to Huginnin Cove, if there is time. This trip would have everything you are looking for. Except for the last leg, the mileage isn't very high, and the campgrounds are stellar, especially Little Todd, which is my favorite. I'm simply saying what I would do.

Whatever way you go, have a great time.