Anchoring / Beaching in Hugginin Cove?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

sonofasailor
NewbieCake

Anchoring / Beaching in Hugginin Cove?

Post by sonofasailor »

I am planning a trip starting 8/22, towing my 26-ft trailerable sailboat to Grand Portage, and making the 21-22 mile passage to Windigo. During the trip, at least 2 of the 4 of us will hike to Hugginin Cove (and beyond, I'm sure). I was thinking about taking the boat from Windigo to Hugginin Cove to spend the night there, either anchored or beached (my boat drafts only 18 inches with the centerboard up and it can be beached). A ranger I spoke to said Hugginin is exposed to waves off Superior from the north, so conditions can be too rough to stay there overnight. I looked at Hugginin with Google Earth, and it appears there are parts of the cove on the extreme east and west which are protected by little points of land which jut out and would block waves coming from the north off the lake. My question is, has anyone done this, or has anyone camping at Hugginin seen boats in the cove there? Or if not, does anyone know whether the shore is all rocks, or is there at least some sand or softer areas, especially in the extreme eastern and western areas of the cove?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Anchoring / Beaching in Hugginin Cove?

Post by johnhens »

Hugginin is all rock, as the ranger said, I would not anchor my boat there overnight.
I have kayaked in there.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Hugginin is one of the LAST places I would want to try and anchor a boat on IR. The northwest side of the island has the fewest places to anchor or land a boat.
sonofasailor
NewbieCake

Post by sonofasailor »

Thanks for the info on Hugginin Cove. Guess I will stay in Washington Harbor at Windigo with the boat, if members of our party want to camp overnight on the trail they will miss the after-dinner beers and/or cocktails on board the boat :)